GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums

GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums (http://gnttype.org/forums/index.php)
-   Whatzit Worth? (http://gnttype.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   looking to purchase 85 Regal t type...whats it worth? (http://gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14849)

hotrodjunky1982 01-17-2012 05:09 PM

looking to purchase 85 Regal t type...whats it worth?

This is my first post...please bear with me. I have an oppertunity to buy an 85 t type. its a real 27xxx mile car and is mint. It has been for sale for months. Through my research I have found 1985 was the lowest regal t type production year AND this car is oddly optioned. i decoded the rpo and found all the performance goodies with a half vinyl top, trim delete, bench and column, am radio with rear speaker delete, but AC and power windows. I would love to add it to my collection of "rarities" im ready to buy this, but whats a good price? was 10k now 8300.:2c:

charlief1 01-17-2012 09:10 PM

Re: looking to purchase 85 Regal t type...whats it worth?

If I remember right the 83T type was the lowest produced of the turbo buicks. The rarest one is the 82 GN turbo though. The most rare isn't always the most expensive out there. As far as price you need to have someone near you that's used to looking at them come with you for an inspection. There's lots of issues that can come up even with low mileage cars. My 83 T limited is a car with less than 50K on the ticker and both rears had to be replaced because of rust, as well as the frame.:steam: Post where you're located and someone may either know the car or can help you check it out.:)

gmv6turbopower 01-20-2012 03:02 AM

HES IN CT AT LEAST THE CAR IS. NEVER EVER CAME WITH VINAL TOP 84-86. 87 YES. EARLIER ONES NO!

http://hartford.craigslist.org/ctd/2795663657.html

FOR THE SAME 8000. I WOULD BUY A HIGHER MILEAGE INTERCOOLED CAR.

RARE DOESNT EQUAL DESIREABLE

chrisjkruse 01-20-2012 08:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gotta admit..It looks pretty sweet. BUT THAT BABY HAS 127,000 miles, the engine compartment says it all!.
All T types are advertised low mileage after the odometer flips. MY car has has only 54,000 miles if I wanted to lie:wait: Attachment 2527 It acutually had zero miles twice!!:lmao: My wife was the 1st owner in 1987
Sitll, These are nice usefull reliable cars. You would be happier with an intercooled one though. 86-87
Only be willing to pay what you know that you can sell it for. We know you can't get 10k because thats been tried already. AND checK it out thouroughly!!

Keller 01-20-2012 01:52 PM

It is a column-shift, AM radio car. The top is aftermarket, as it has neither the regular or padded top options on the RPO tag.

http://www.gnttype.org/numbers/rpo.html
(The one that looks like a top code is a wiper code.)

Nice car and may very well be low mile (clean body, no rust, clean doors, clean interior, factory mats), but for that kind of money you could get a lot more car. In the case of these cars, rare does not always mean collectible. The '87 GNs have been very desirable with strong pricing, but the T/T-Type cars are more more rare. Also, the 84/85 cars have lower performance and are harder to get some mechanical parts for.

If you could get it for $6k-ish and really wanted it, that might be more fair.

chrisjkruse 01-20-2012 08:39 PM

SCOTT KNOWS HIS STUFF!

BUT..I KNOW THAT HE KNOWS THAT I KNOW THAT HE KNOWS THAT BABY HAS 127000 miles!:party:

Keller 01-20-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisjkruse (Post 61145)
I KNOW THAT HE KNOWS THAT I KNOW THAT HE KNOWS THAT BABY HAS 127000 miles!

Nope. I bet the miles are legit. The underhood has just not been kept in a dehumidified environment for the last 27 years, and that is why it looks a little rough. The interior and exterior look very good (save for the vinyl top) for a car that age.

The steering wheel shows some wear only on the bottom. But it has clean spokes and isn't sun bleached. The GM floomats look perfect. The seats are not worn. The body is straight. The inside door edges are clean. The radio surround panel even has its protective film still in place!

Hard to say at this distance, bit it may well be legit.

chrisjkruse 01-20-2012 11:34 PM

Scottt....AAAHHHHHH!!!!STOP!!

Ken!! Charlie..Dave....GMV6DUDE....Anyone!! MOM!!
HELP!!
Help me out here!!
Scott's kicking my butt..I can't compete!! I would pay 6000 bucks for an 85 chevette with only 27000 miles!
Senario....Gee..".Let's replace the top for no reason..Hunny..Lets only drive it around the house once in a while just to listen to the radio...."
Let's pay for changes to our 10,000 mile pristine car and hope it increases in value 20 years later after another 17.000 miles ...
Let's get real.. A good lawnmower is 6000 bucks.. If that car has 27000 miles, than DUDE BUY IT ASAP!!..
( but.. you gotta drive it another 100.000 miles to get your money back! Then it will be right where you started :deadhorse

However, I dont want to overspeak...Cause I want to retain my membership xoxox..Chris

chrisjkruse 01-21-2012 12:27 AM

However, I do agree with Scott that 6000ish plus a few bucks is fair...because it's darn nice looking ...8300 is too much..( unless it really has 27000 miles...)..Oh Crap ..here I go again.....Just play it safe..ok

Keller 01-21-2012 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisjkruse (Post 61149)
However, I dont want to overspeak...Cause I want to retain my membership

Pushing the edge, Chris. Take your Ritalin and mellow out...