GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums

GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums (http://gnttype.org/forums/index.php)
-   Alternate Fuels (http://gnttype.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Alky help (http://gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16832)

JAMIEPACURN 02-09-2015 07:28 PM

Alky help

I've been doing some research on these razor alky kits and thinking about purchasing a system. Sure you can turn up the juice (boost) but can a stock buick engine be able to handle such power???? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jamie C.

kenmosher 02-10-2015 03:02 PM

Re: Alky help

I guess, it's more insurance than anything else. The stock build is pretty stout and all you are using alcohol for is a detonation suppressor (cooling via vaporization and a little bit of octane boost from the alcohol itself).

In fact, in most cases you'll make slightly less power using alcohol (because you need to use quite a bit in most cases) vs. race gas at the same boost levels.

In either case, if you turn the boost up to "11" (i.e. 25+ PSI) expect it to eventually find the weakest point of your build.

JAMIEPACURN 02-10-2015 04:34 PM

So what you are trying to tell me Ken is turn up the boost to 24#'s and everything will hold together. (Just joking) Thanks for the information. Guess it all boils down to the quality of components or lack thereof that will either make using alky system a success or failure.

kenmosher 02-10-2015 04:40 PM

Yup. It's a great bit of insurance (kind of a liquid intercooler) that can help overstressed intake components like undersized or heat soaked intercooler, inefficient compressor for the boost level, etc.

It can definitely be a "glue" that helps bring a combo together for operation that is at the edge of the combos efficiency range, whether that is fuel octane, turbo size, intercooler efficiency/capacity, etc.

If the combo is close to optimum, it can be that little "extra" to ensure things don't go boom when cranked all the way up.

JAMIEPACURN 02-11-2015 12:42 AM

Well I'm all about insurance as long as its not Geico. Makes sense as to why people use such a system. According to Jason Cramer from RJC Racing, he wouldn't own a turbo forced induction car without an alky system since it helps supress detonation. I wonder if a set of "wings" comes with this kit since your basically turning this car into a rocket. I'm currently running 17lbs of boost how much more power would 6 more pounds of boost give???

Keller 02-11-2015 05:24 AM

What is your combo? A stock turbo may not be so happy above 20-21 PSI.

Always need more fuel delivery for more boost.

I have run 25-27 PSI on a stock combo, but with larger turbos, larger injectors, high converter stall, improved intercooler, etc.

JAMIEPACURN 02-12-2015 01:48 AM

Here is my current combination I have:

1. Stock block (3.8) with stock pistons, rods, and crank
2. Large front mount intercooler
3. Turbo Tweak Chip for 93 octane
4. Injector size 42.5
5. Non ported stock cylinder heads with new LS1 Springs installed
6. Stock intake Non-Ported
7. 70mm Plenum Throttle Body combo from RJC racing
8. Upgraded Coil Pack
9. Taylor 10mm Plug wires
10. MAF Translator

Mike from Full Throttle says with my combo I should upgrade the stock turbo to a 6262 PT Turbo and add a 10" PTC transmission converter to "awaken the motor" so to speak. My goal is to have a street driven car that can pack a powerful punch when needed without making things go BOOM!!!!! I welcome everyone's input.

Special thanks given to Mr. Keller and Mr. Mosher for their input and ideas. You guys certainly have helped me tremendously over the years and glad to be a part of this Buick fan club!

Jamie C.

kenmosher 02-12-2015 11:54 AM

I'd agree that a bigger turbo would be the next addition (along with a matching converter).

I'd also consider upgrading the injectors to the 65# injectors to give better controllability and a little "head room" to grow.

If the motor ever comes apart for servicing or updating, I'd HIGHLY recommend a head/cam combo to move more air (and the injectors will be a "must have" at that point)>

JAMIEPACURN 02-13-2015 08:35 AM

Thanks Ken for the information. Now where did I put those "money tree seeds" at. Would the PT 6262 Turbo be the right fit for my application. This is what Mike stated from Full Throttle Speed so not sure if I should go with what he says or is he just trying to make a sell???

Keller 02-13-2015 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMIEPACURN (Post 67881)
1. Stock block (3.8) with stock pistons, rods, and crank
2. Large front mount intercooler
3. Turbo Tweak Chip for 93 octane
4. Injector size 42.5
5. Non ported stock cylinder heads with new LS1 Springs installed
6. Stock intake Non-Ported
7. 70mm Plenum Throttle Body combo from RJC racing
8. Upgraded Coil Pack
9. Taylor 10mm Plug wires
10. MAF Translator

1) The stock innards have their limit, but you are a long way from it.
2) Brand? Some work well, some don't.
3) May need to be adjusted or replaced if going to run alcohol or race fuel.
4) Should be enough for mid 11s or more, but go to the 60s if you plan on going faster.
5) Port and add cam for better breathing.
6) Have ported if/when heads are done.
7) Overkill for anything likely on your radar. A local car has been high 9s with a stock TB and plenum, albeit ported to 62 mm (likely by http://www.throttlebodys.com/) and using a 1" spacer for plenum volume.
9) Unnecessary. 10mm wires are just a normal size wire with a ton of insulation around it. Ken uses parts store wires. Many use the MSD or Taylor 8-8.5 mm.

Determine your goals, then choose your parts to make a combination, not a mess. Will it be street, strip, or both? Do you have a HP target or ET target in mind? Pump gas, race gas, or alcohol injection?

As far as boost, I ran a TA49 a 25-27 PSI with 116 fuel and ran 11.70s. But with ported heads, intake and a cam it surely would have run stronger. Can't run that much boost on pump gas.

A 6262 is a bit larger than the TA49. Probably more in the old TA/TE61 territory or a bit above. Should be capable of low 11s to high 10s with the right combo and tuning. But can't breathe well through the stock unported heads and intake.