GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums

GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums (http://gnttype.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Turbo Regal Questions (http://gnttype.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Upgrade choices / suggestions? (http://gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12257)

Dan SS2471 02-05-2009 08:57 PM

Upgrade choices / suggestions?

Here is the car's current setup:

Engine/Exhaust:
-rebuilt about 3k miles ago
-204/214 cam - flat tappet
-ported stock heads
-steel center main caps
-double roller timing set
-020 forged JE pistons
-60# mototron injectors
-hotwired Walbro
-3" LT-1 MAF with translator
-TurboTweak chip
-160* t-stat with billet neck
-Caspers cam sensor cap
-3" ATR downpipe
-Turbonetics Evolution wastegate with in-car adjustability
-test pipe with cutout
-Hooker 2.5" catback
-Rebuilt G-80 rear

Stock turbo set @ #18s max right now, stock trans and converter.

Can't make any baseline passes because the trans needs to be rebuilt. Or I should say it's flaring up at WOT and when it warms up it hesitates to shift on th 2-3 and whines a bit.

My ultimate goal is to have a street driven, high 10 - low 11 second car that will see the track a few times a year.

As far going forward, I'm assuming if I go bigger turbo, that the way it's currently configured, that it's got sufficient fuel...? Based on my goal, what would be the required or optimal turbo / converter combo? Also, if I do the converter while doing the trans, will the car still be streetable until I do the bigger turbo?

Based on the re-build specs, how much boost would be considered to still be 'safe' assuming the engine is tuned correctly. Based on what I've read, it seems to be a good starting point to reach my goal. I realize the turbo/converter aren't the only thing that it's going to take but figured they'll be the biggest contributors at this stage.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

PaCemkr86 02-05-2009 11:41 PM

Re: Upgrade choices / suggestions?

with what you currently have, and a WCC converter,decent stock location intercooler or front mount and a PT67/76 ball bearing turbo @ 20-25 psi you car will run into the 10's

this is all of course with good tunning, traction, etc....

I have built two cars with mostly the same stuff you have listed and both have run 10.5- 10.80 range.. on pump gas with an alky system..

Keller 02-05-2009 11:59 PM

A single Walbro is VERY iffy for your expectations.

PaCemkr86 02-06-2009 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keller (Post 49341)
A single Walbro is VERY iffy for your expectations.

good call Scott, the cars i built were also using "double pumper" fuel pumps..

PaceCarTA 02-06-2009 12:13 AM

you can go plenty fast on a single if you add in a good alky system like razors dual nozzle

a car i work on here went 10.18 129 on a single intank walbro (340M from racetronix) with a razor dual nozzle pushing with a 70bb and 83 injectors (of course nowhere near max duty ) on a full cage car weighing about 3700lbs with driver oh and on 93 octane , footbrake launch, stock ecm with a TT 5.6 chip

stock fuel lines too

mellissa went 9.90 on a single , stock lines and rails along with dual razor alky kit

PaCemkr86 02-06-2009 12:32 AM

i know all about Grumpys combo, and i know it can be done on a car using alky..

But having two "intank" pumps is a good safe guard

Dan SS2471 02-06-2009 09:14 AM

Thanks very much, guys.

As far as the trans..while it's being rebuilt, are there any considerations there or is the stock 2004R beefy enough on a rebuild to handle all of this?

Dan

Keller 02-06-2009 02:03 PM

:loll: No.

Sorry, but as Phil commented earlier, you will need a trans build with some billet parts to handle 550-600 HP target you are shooting for. And a converter set up for the task as well. A stock trans and converter won't last long at all with your proposed setup, let alone what you already have.

FWIW, general pointers to buildups are found in our "recipes" on the website. And questions regarding different aspects of the car should preferably asked in their respective areas. Or answered searched for in those areas.

Dan SS2471 02-06-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keller (Post 49351)
:loll: No.

Sorry, but as Phil commented earlier, you will need a trans build with some billet parts to handle 550-600 HP target you are shooting for. And a converter set up for the task as well. A stock trans and converter won't last long at all with your proposed setup, let alone what you already have.

FWIW, general pointers to buildups are found in our "recipes" on the website. And questions regarding different aspects of the car should preferably asked in their respective areas. Or answered searched for in those areas.

Thank you, Scott. Recipes and correct forums noted. Sorry about that.

And thanks for the info.

Dan