GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums

GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums (http://gnttype.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Electrical/Ignition (http://gnttype.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Gremlins! (http://gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1248)

Gee 01-20-2005 12:58 AM

Gremlins!

Somebody help! I have an '87 WE-4 that has developed some electrical gremlins. What happens is that sometimes the electrical system charges just fine and other times it does not. I can find no rhyme nor reason as to what causes any changes in the way it acts, but I know that sometimes if I close a door or the hood, or hit a bump in the road (something that "jolts" the car in some fashion) the lights dim and the turn signals slow down significantly. And then sometimes when I jolt the car again everything goes back to normal. It used to be that the lack of charging problem was merely occasional, but it has gotten increasingly worse over time. It has even gotten to the point that I can barely keep the battery charged anymore. I have checked the alternator and battery and both are good. I am currently in the process of installing one of the "power pack" kits from one of the electronics vendors, but I ran across this forum and thought I would ask the question here. too. I also know that these cars seem to be developing grounding problems as they get older, but I really don't have any idea as to where to start looking. I am really hoping that this problem sounds familiar to someone who can point me in the right direction and suggest where to start. I have gotten frustrated and am about to the point of taking the car to someone who knows what they are doing (with blank check in had) and telling them to call me when it is fixed (and not before). OK, maybe not quite THAT frusrated, but you get the idea. Any help that any of you who are much wiser than I could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx.

Mike

bmackinnon 01-20-2005 03:17 PM

Re: Gremlins!

I'm no electrical expert, but I'll give you a couple of things to look/think about. I seem to remember waaaayy back in the old days of this list a similar problem/thread.. (clouds drift thru mind). If I remember correctly, it was traced to the wire that illuminates the ALT or BATT lite in the dash. Seems that that particular circuit must be fully intact for charging to occur. Even if the bulb is blown, it seems that will cause a no charge situation. That wouldn't appear to be your case as you have an erratic problem Does the lite illuminate with key on, engine off?? Only sometimes?? (like on when it's feeling like charging, and not when it's not?)

The main grounds are located at the rear pass. side cylinder head. There's several there, make sure they are good and tight and not corroded. It's a real PIA to access them, also.

Follow the wires from the alt, and wiggle them around while you have a voltmeter hooked up and try to see if you can make it charge or not.

Best suggestion I have for a good diagnostic procedure would be to contact John at Casper's Perfomance either via phone or email. He is THE source of nearly any electrical part/connector/circuit board,wire loom for our cars, and is an electrical genious. He will know exactly what and where to check. The site has is vendor and contact info. He's a great guy who's always willing to help.

Final thought. I'd veto the 'power pack' install. IMO, unnecessary and likely to give you problems down the road from "too much" voltage. In good condition, the stock charging system is completely adequate. Good luck!

garrettpen 01-21-2005 01:21 PM

Re: Gremlins!

you might also wanna consider just replacing your battery terminal wires and altenator wires. sometimes with heat and age the wire will simply go bad, it would be a cheap solution, you could upgrade to 4 ga. wires, and even if it doest fix the problem they're 18 years old and should probably be replaced anyway. if that doesnt fix it, it definatly sounds like a ground.