GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums

GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums (http://gnttype.org/forums/index.php)
-   Turbochargers and Intercoolers (http://gnttype.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Intercooler air ducting (http://gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16333)

pajeff87 03-05-2013 08:25 AM

Intercooler air ducting

I am looking for a pic of the stock air dam under the front of our cars. I believe I have all the pieces, but the air dam mounted on the bottom of the radiator core support seems to be askew on one side. I searched Google images and, although I can find pictures of all the individual pieces, there isn't anything that shows them mounted from beneath the car. Specifically, I am looking for a side view of the core support air dam and its relationship to the duct mounted on the intercooler. Thanks!

pajeff87 03-19-2013 07:42 AM

Re: Intercooler air ducting

I have everything unbolted from the core support now and the two center mounting holes for the air dam are in different places. One is closer to the back edge of the core support than the other. I will most likely move the forwardmost hole back to match the other one.

Other question -- what is the correct color for the stock air pipe that runs from the intercooler outlet to the throttle body? Pics on the internet run the full gamut of colors. What I have is essentially a natural aluminum finish.

kenmosher 03-19-2013 12:23 PM

The pipe is basically unpolished aluminum/steel color. (I think the original pipe might have been aluminized steel? Gotta dig it out of my parts stash and too lazy :) )

jlat 03-19-2013 01:24 PM

hello people; On the color of the up pipe as what was already said I believe is true but I heard it is made from SS.
Also while your in that underarea of the car why not make or buy a rad. block in kit. It's design is to keep more air in the rad area for better cooling. I bought mine but it could be made with a little time. I really don't know if it works but it made sence.
IBBY

pajeff87 03-19-2013 03:26 PM

Thanks. I should have said "natural aluminum color" as I never checked to see what it is made out of. It could very well be unpolished stainless steel. Looks like I just need to clean it up then before putting everything back together.

Keller 03-19-2013 07:43 PM

The up pipe is stainless. I sanded and polished a spare I had.

vpunitas 03-19-2013 09:23 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Not sure exactly what photo you're looking for, but here's a couple that show the air intake.. car is stock.. let me know what photo you need.. have a bunch, and the car is still on jacks..

pajeff87 03-19-2013 10:44 PM

Thank you! First photo shows the air dam positioned against the core support and that essentially answers my question. I will need to modify my mounting points a bit to line the air dam up evenly on both sides. Not sure why mine is off...

pajeff87 03-22-2013 10:17 PM

I haven't looked at my intercooler real close... working on other stuff right now. I assume it is all welded/brazed/soldered or something rather than epoxy holding stuff together. Is that accurate?

Keller 03-22-2013 10:18 PM

That is correct.