GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums

GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums (http://gnttype.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Electrical/Ignition (http://gnttype.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need help! 84 GN (http://gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14931)

Drs2288 02-25-2012 08:36 PM

Need help! 84 GN

I purchased car a couple months ago and it was not running, bone stock. I messed with the cam sensor and it started running... Well I knocking off again and order Caspers cam sensor cap with the led light, have it set again and when I try to crank it I get an extremely loud back fire, I'm talking so loud a guy walking down the street dropped and screamed. Any ideas what it could be? It's really bothering me because I only have a couple weeks to enjoy it before I start my new job out of state. Any help would really be appreciated.

kenmosher 02-26-2012 10:16 AM

Re: Need help! 84 GN

I wonder if the cam sensor is set 180 degrees out. Easy to do. Car will run, but will do a lot of weird things like backfires and rough idle.

Drs2288 02-26-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenmosher (Post 61503)
I wonder if the cam sensor is set 180 degrees out. Easy to do. Car will run, but will do a lot of weird things like backfires and rough idle.

Samething i was thinking but i made sure #1 (driver side closest to radiator) was at TDC. It won't start at all now just cranks then bam
, loud back fire.

On an 84 are these the correct cylinder #s?

6 5
4 3
2 1 ??

Keller 02-26-2012 05:16 PM

That is correct.

Do you have the correct wires going to the correct plugs? If not, you could easily get misfires. The plugs fire in pairs across each coil, and one should always be firing during an exhaust stroke, and therefore not ignite anything.

Drs2288 02-27-2012 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keller (Post 61511)
That is correct.

Do you have the correct wires going to the correct plugs? If not, you could easily get misfires. The plugs fire in pairs across each coil, and one should always be firing during an exhaust stroke, and therefore not ignite anything.

I'm going off the numbers on the original coil pack, I also have an 87 module/coil pack with caspers conversion harness so I swapped them out and still does the same.
If you don't mind maybe i can explain Better on the phone I'll message anyone my number that can possibly help me out.

Keller 02-27-2012 03:13 AM

Quick thought: The "numbers" will be displayed upside down on a 86-87 car. Perhaps you have the coil flipped, and thus have every plug in concert wire wrong. Save for the center pair, of course. Even if center two are connected to their opposite across the center coil, it won't matter.

Before you start flipping the coil, be sure that the engine fires #1 in time with the mark on the balancer. Just get a timing light and check it with all the wires connected and someone else cranking.

There have been cars where the crank sensor gets damaged from a backfire. And others that have the timing chain jump. A timing light will help tell the real story.

Drs2288 02-27-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keller (Post 61517)
Quick thought: The "numbers" will be displayed upside down on a 86-87 car. Perhaps you have the coil flipped, and thus have every plug in concert wire wrong. Save for the center pair, of course. Even if center two are connected to their opposite across the center coil, it won't matter.

Before you start flipping the coil, be sure that the engine fires #1 in time with the mark on the balancer. Just get a timing light and check it with all the wires connected and someone else cranking.

There have been cars where the crank sensor gets damaged from a backfire. And others that have the timing chain jump. A timing light will help tell the real story.

Thank you For the info Keller, I'll pull out the timing light when I get home today.

Drs2288 02-27-2012 08:31 PM

I have it running now, I checked the timing and the timing mark it at 16 degrees. How would I adjust that?

Keller 02-27-2012 11:37 PM

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/ecms...ensor_FAQ.html

Think you are at the chip's timing map mercy now. Unless the crank reluctor or cam is off from the stock position.

If it is running, the cam sensor is either right or 180 degrees off. Incremental changes have more effect on fuel delivery than spark timing. Look at some of the other articles on the topic on the website.

Keller 02-27-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drs2288 (Post 61521)
I have it running now

What did you move or change?