GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums

GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums (http://gnttype.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Electrical/Ignition (http://gnttype.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Coil pack Crazyness! (http://gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16771)

86 GN IN R.I. 07-23-2014 04:18 PM

Coil pack Crazyness!

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all,
This cannot be right! I have 3 black with white stripe wires coming from the back of my coil pack which then connect to what appears to be 3 grease caps which then connect to a brown wire and 3 different splits which then connect to NOWHERE. Maybe should be grounded?? It is a mess and could be the reason I cannot connect my negative battery cable to the battery without a major spark(firework like). I had checked the battery cables and grounds very greasy but no broken wires. Any help would be appreciated as I want to bring this beauty back to life and start really dumping some money into it lol!
Thanks and sorry for long post

kenmosher 07-23-2014 06:31 PM

Re: Coil pack Crazyness!

Strange ... looks like somebody had something spliced in to the grounds for some reason.

Black/White and Black are generally GROUND wires in this application (and they look like grounds to me).

Hot wires (in the stock harness) are normally orange or pink/black.

The ESC will have a Black/White wire for ground ... the coil pack/ignition module shouldn't have any blk/white wires.

I wonder if there was some sort of custom coil pack hack/two step or something installed?

86 GN IN R.I. 07-23-2014 08:18 PM

So should the coil pack not even have the black/ white stripe wire coming from the back? Do you think its safe to get rid of that mess? Maybe thats the short? Oh boy electrical problems S$@K!!

kenmosher 07-24-2014 01:40 PM

Not from the wiring diagram I'm seeing. It's hard to tell from the pictures where those wires really come from/go to?

Do they go to the harness UNDER the coil pack? Or do they go to the harness to the driver's side of the coil pack? Or?

It looks like some sort of hack and something else was hooked up there...

86 GN IN R.I. 07-24-2014 03:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I hope these two pictures are a little better. There are 3 black/white stripe wires, pic only shows two because tight space to take pic. They are sandwiched between coil pack and ignition module spaced evenly under the 1,5,3 spark plug terminals then to the grease caps then to that splice then to nowhere! maybe instead of "nowhere" I'll just ground it somewhere. I also have a black/blue stripe wire which is spliced with a red connector off of the pink/black stripe wire going directly into the high speed fan relay which(black/blue stripe) also leads NOWHERE aaaaargggggggggggggghhhhh!

kenmosher 07-24-2014 04:08 PM

Very strange... it appears that some one has tapped into the feeds to the coils in the coil pack. Under the coil pack there are 3 pairs (on pair for each coil in the pack) and it appears someone tapped into them for some reason? Maybe an add on device like a rev limiter or timing controller?

86 GN IN R.I. 07-24-2014 04:17 PM

I thought very strange also. I guess I should just ground the wire for safety sake

kenmosher 07-24-2014 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would NOT do that ...

I would remove the coilpack/ignition module, undo the two pieces and look at what has been done under there.

Looking at the diagram, I can see nothing under there that should be directly grounded. I would disassemble and inspect....

http://gnttype.org/forums/attachment...1&d=1406233397

86 GN IN R.I. 07-24-2014 04:38 PM

Ok I will inspect ASAP! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. Hopefully I can post some details tomorrow. Thanks again!

86 GN IN R.I. 08-02-2014 01:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just got to it but here it is. Looks like those three black/white stripe wires were tapped in using dual spade connectors. Like you said this isn't from factory. Any ideas what it was used for? Since I do not know I should just disconnect the black/white stripe wires and clean up. Maybe these pics will help someone out in the future for something.