GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums

GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums (http://gnttype.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Electrical/Ignition (http://gnttype.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Analyzing ignition misfires - a picture shows why the Casper's tester works! (http://gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11700)

Keller 09-02-2008 02:27 PM

Analyzing ignition misfires - a picture shows why the Casper's tester works!

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...k/IMG_0484.jpg

I haven't touched my car in over a month, as I'd been a bit upset the last time it was out. The car felt like it had a 'miss', but only at high boost. That had me starting to suspect the fuel pump, since that is where the fuel system would be taxed the most.

Of course, that is where the ignition is taxed the most as well.

So I finally broke out the Casper's tester and had a look at things. This is by far the best way to analyze things. The proof is in the pics. The 5-2 pair is simply not firing. If I turn it down to a low RPM, it does fire...very weakly. At high RPMs it never fired at all. This is a new coil, but an older module. Both GM/Delco parts. Worked fine on the street and at street boost levels, but up at 20+ PSI, would stumble like crazy.

At this time, I don't know which part is the problem: coil or module. However I will check them and change what needs to be changed.

Larger turbo is going on while the car is down as well. :winkgrin:

PaCemkr86 09-02-2008 10:28 PM

Re: Analyzing ignition misfires - a picture shows why the Casper's tester works!

nice.. this should be a sticky

IL KIM 09-09-2008 11:55 AM

Re: Analyzing ignition misfires - a picture shows why the Casper's tester works!

Found this user document. www.installationinstructions.com/102020.pdf

Now, where and how much are these? Anyone have one they want to rent or let me borrow in the Michigan area?

ryan87gn 09-09-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IL KIM
Found this user document. www.installationinstructions.com/102020.pdf

Now, where and how much are these? Anyone have one they want to rent or let me borrow in the Michigan area?

Caspers, $124 + shipping.
I was thinking the same thing for the Akron, OH area.

IL KIM 09-09-2008 07:04 PM

Ryan! Thanks. I noticed Caspers sells a replacement coil pack for less than the cost of the tool! LOL

Keller 09-16-2008 01:58 PM

Its not always the pack. In my case, only changing both fixed the problem.

Electrajim 10-22-2008 12:10 PM

Keep this in mind if ever opening a ignition module, coil pack setup to prevent failure.
http://www.installationinstructions....ci-failure.pdf
Don't forget that there should be a gasket between them too!
Shocking, isn't it.

ElectraJim

BYT86GN 02-22-2010 03:20 PM

Scott I bought me one of those coil testers from caspers and for some reason it does not work. I called caspers about this and they said something about that it might not work on aftermarket coils. I also noticed that not all of the bolts line up on the coils. I have to hold the tester in place otherwise it will not make contact with all the coils. Have you had this problem and is the factory coil made by AC Delco. Autozone only has a Duralast brand and Oreilly's carries the AC Delco, Master Pro, and BWD brand. Which one would you recommend. Thanks

Mike

Keller 02-22-2010 04:43 PM

Sadly, AC Delco has gone to sourcing their coils from China. They are also a slightly different packaging. That can affect the fitment of the tester to the coil.

There are some aftermarket coils that hold to the original packaging and are reliable. One source I would note is Highway Stars / NOS4GN. Their US made coils come with a warranty, have a _very_ reasonable price, and are made in the OEM physical format.

They also offer a very solid module. While also US made and, comes with a *2* year warranty, it does not provide an external tach signal. Many of the aftermarket modules do not. If that is not an issue for you, it is very hard to beat. Note that the external tach signal is necessary to make the Casper's tester work!

Highway Stars / NOS4GN offers all the GM ignition parts as well.

Others have noted the absence of the tach signal on the BWD module in the past.

BYT86GN 02-22-2010 11:02 PM

Thanks for the info Scott. I tried looking for the website for highway stars and I was able to find one but it appears to be a broken link. Do you know if there is another website that sells the highway nosgn?