View Single Post
Old 12-25-2010, 11:06 PM

charlief1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Better turbo design

Now that the feet are in the right place and the plenum side is opened up I did a little truing of the area that the plenum attaches to. I used a file on the flat side and did what's called draw filing. This uses the flat section of the file but you don't use it in the normal way. You grab the ends and slide it sideways, not back and forth like you normally do. What this does is keep the file on an even plain so that it will take just enough off to true the surface up. You must keep moving the file so that you don't scallop the surface up while doing this. Think about the turbo as the face of a clock. The foot is the big hand and you start with it in the 12 position and the file moves from the 6 to the 12 position, then move the foot to the 3 or 6 position and keep filing. Do this after a few minutes and you will get a level and true surface to mount the plenum to.

Now on to the plenum mods you will need to do. The piece that was cut off is now needed. The second pic is of the differences between the holes on the inducer housing and the stock plenum. Just enough to allow for an issue mounting the plenum. To fix this I elongated the top and bottom holes just enough to center it on the piece I had removed from the inducer housing. Bolted the two together and used a tap to cut away the material needed to fit the plenum to the turbo. Go slowly so you don't screw up the plenum or bind the tap and break it. Once you tap the parts this will give you an area to file out so the bolts will mount up. Do it one at a time and this way you can make sure you keep everything centered
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0001.JPG
Views:	1250
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	2198  Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	1304
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	2199  Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	1309
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	2200  Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	1257
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	2201  

Last edited by charlief1; 12-26-2010 at 12:24 AM.