View Single Post
Old 01-20-2006, 07:48 PM

Dave Burchfiel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Final Word on front disc brakes

Ok! I've been reading about brakes and I'm still not sure what to do. Since 1987 my brakes have been terrible. as far as I'm concerned its the worst thing about the GN. Fairly early (when my accumulator failed on the powermaster) converted to vacuum brakes. I've bled them, replaced the master cylinder and vacuum acumulator twice, replaced the shoes with soft compounds, replaced the pads with semi metalic (that may have even made them worse) and I'm surprised in the 140,000 miles I've driven the car I haven't wrecked it (at least not because of the brakes). The pedal travel is way too long before the brakes engage; yet not spongy. (there is no air in the system) I can't lock the brakes if I stand on the pedal with both feet. Once in a while they might give a hint of a lock up. Sometimes but not often the pedal is just hard as a rock with almost no braking. Combination valve problems?

I'm thinking of going to 13" baer brakes in the front and 12" in the rear but after reading the forum I'm hesitant. Doc states that pad area has no affect on braking and it's strictly force and cf. I remember that from physics yet I think more is going on or why would we run nice fat tires since area (contact patch) wouldn't change the traction.