View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Senior Contributor

87geeinn is on a distinguished road
Default Just my .02

Here's some pics of the 275/50/15 MT ET Streets on a stock rim. This set has approximately 1,500 miles on them and I run them at a consistent 25psi for a little extra grab. The 275 width is slightly larger than what is suggested by MT for appropriate rim width size. However, I'm not seeing a terrible wear pattern on mine. Perhaps the lower air pressure allows the tire to relax and have a "thicker" contact patch. Dunno. Note the wear bars in the third picture: The outermost bar reveals that there is slightly more tread left on the outer portion of the tire, which is to be expected. However, the short lifespan of those particular tires, to me, negates the slightly uneven wear pattern. Perhaps more miles will show a more evident inconsistency. The biggest downside to running a fat tire on too skinny of a rim is how the car tends to roll to one side when making sharp turns at high speeds...especially when running a lower air psi. One has to take this into consideration with regards to how one wants their car to handle.

Note the extremely close clearance between the frame and the tire and how it shined up the rail just a bit. That's on the passenger side. There's been no contact on the driver's side. As was noted prior, each car will be different based on the numerous variables. In my case, I have new variable rate springs, poly body mounts, Bilstein shocks and tubular upper and lower control arms, and a 1" sway bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0527 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
Views:	3009
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	1870  Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0528 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
Views:	2544
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1871  Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0530 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
Views:	2315
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1872  Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0529 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
Views:	2341
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1873  
87 GN, stroker, Champion irons and intake, 218/212 cam, TE60, 70mm TB, Precision plenum, FMIC, Alky, Innovate WB, TurboTweak, Powerlogger, 9" real Art Carr non-lock, Brian Hofer 200r4, TA stainless headers, 3" DP, 60lb injectors, MT ET Streets.