View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 01:36 AM

roche314 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Turbo going bad?

Thanks Scott.

To answer your questions, the smoke looked white, but it was pretty bright out and i was looking out the rear-view. As far as I can tell it was coming out the tailpipe. (the motor is pretty clean everywhere, and there is a bunch of oil around the rear bumper behind the tailpipe.)

I did a compression test and everything was between 125-135, the oil & H2O look fine. So I think the head gaskets are intact.

I pulled the inlet off the turbo and there was a small amount of oil. There is a lot of play in the compressor wheel. I would say about 45 thousandths, it looks like it might have been barely scrapping the wall of the turbo. So I think we can conclude that the bearings are shot and the car is sitting until I replace the turbo.

With that said, I have been trying to research turbos, and come up with a desired et/hp.

Here is a list of my goals/requirements for the car:
1. Runs on pump gas.
2. If possible I would like the turbo to be stock appearing. (the car has to go through California smog)
3. I think somewhere around 400hp/mid 11s would be reasonable.

Here is what my race plans would be
1. Pump gas w/octane booster or race gas.
2. Turn up boost
3. Possible slicks

With that said, I have been looking around and it looks like a CPT-66 would fit the bill, but I would need to replace my torque converter with something in the 3200-3400 range. Am I on the right track?

thanks again
-steve