View Single Post
Old 12-25-2010, 09:13 PM

charlief1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Better turbo design

Now onto how you adapt the inducer housing to the plenum. First thing is there's a difference in height and mounting flange to the intake. The height really isn't that big a difference but to make it fit on the plenum mount that goes on the drivers side head. Height difference is .48" measured with Mititoyu digital calipers. You can have a machine shop cut it down or you can do like I did. I took the measurements and locked the calipers so I could mark the housing.

What I used was the calipers set to slightly less than the .48" to account for the thickness of the blade. I set it at .45" and used a knife to leave a fine line on each of the bolt bosses. Then using a hand saw I started cutting on one boss. After I got in some I used that cut and moved to the second mark and used the saw in the first cut so I could make sure all were at the same height. This takes some time and it took me 2 saw blades to do it.

You have to move the saw around from one boss to the next in a circle and keep it between two of the bosses. This will keep the saw straight and give you a good cut. It does take some time and if I had a mill I would've used it instead of doing this myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	housings.jpg
Views:	1383
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	2181  Click image for larger version

Name:	height difference.jpg
Views:	1382
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	2182  Click image for larger version

Name:	measuring.jpg
Views:	1323