Thread: NOS vs Alky
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NOS vs Alky

Well, N2O ... (pet peeve of mine ... NOS = brand name and the ricers all think it's NAWSSS ) ... anyway ...

... will work with a turbo, but there's only so much cylinder pressure you can hold. As a result, you can either pump a bunch of nitrous in (with the additional fuel) and turn down the boost or just use the nitrous as a small adder on top of boost. In the latter case, it's biggest contribution will be like an intercooler in a bottle. It can also help spool big ass turbos on the line.

The caveat with N2O is that you HAVE to have the tune right on the money ... boost is a more gradual "hit" to the rotating assembly ... nitrous hits hard right away. If the tune is off a little, detonation with nitrous = pounded out bearings, or worse, cracked main caps.

Of course, detonation with boost is bad too, but tends to give you a little more "leeway" and usually give you a couple "mulligans" before you beat the life out of the bearings.

There's nothing inherently evil about nitrous, and if tuned for and used correctly, it can be a great power adder, but as Phil stated above, there's a lot of screwing around with it. It's not something you can easily just "plug 'n play" (at least to do it right).

That said, I ran it back in the early 90s on my basic Recipe car (as did my buddy Chuck) for one season. At the track it took my 12.50 car and IF I could match the fuel jets and N2O jets correctly for the air, the car would go 11.70s @ 113-114 MPH (vs. 12.30-12.50 @ 107-109 MPH). We made up a spreadsheet of different jets vs. density altitude and such. If you got the fuel jet a little rich (the safe side), you risked a kind of "lag" when you hit the button as the car tried to adjust to the overrich fuel/N2O.

We would turn the boost down to 16-17 psi and then inch up in N2O/fuel jet pairs until we saw about 20-21 psi on the boost gauge when you hit the button. This seemed to net the best ETs (and we ALWAYS ran on race gas and watched for any kind of retard). SO... for on the track, it worked pretty good on a stock turbo, stock intercooler, stock injector, car. It also helped make up for bad air (hot, humid, etc.).

The downside was it sucked on the street... it was never right for the impromptu "stoplight Gran Prix" . Bottle was low, heater wasn't on, main valve was off, jets were wrong, street gas, yada yada yada.

After a year, we both sold our set ups and went with the (then new) hybrid turbo/heads/cam route.
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition