View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 10:10 PM

Doc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Final Word on front disc brakes

Hey everyone, I made some edits to my original post.

I visited the local O'Reily today and examined a few different calipers. It turns out that the "B Body" heavy duty caliper (e.g. 12" Caprice brakes) has a 2.75" piston. I THINK that this is the same caliper used on 3/4 ton trucks during the 70's as well....I haven't compared them side by side, but it looks very similar.

This means that a properly done 12" B-body swap is going to have very, very, good performance: nearly a 50% upgrade!

The B body brake parts are very cheap. O'Reily quoted me $15 for a caliper ($5 core) and $26 for an IROC brake disc. The downside, of course, is that you have to drop a few hundred $$$ on control arms in order to use the B-Body parts....and even then you still need spindles.

Wilwood (and perhaps others) make an aftermarket caliper that is a drop-in replacement for the B body style. The piston diameter is the same, but Wilwood claims their caliper is significantly lighter than OEM, and that it is much stiffer as well. Unfortunatley, these are fairly expensive; $125 each from Summit.