Thread: Boost problems
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2004, 02:47 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Boost problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttype6
There is, also, no good reason not to buy an adjustable wastegate actuator. A manual boost valve and an adjustable actuator will do the same thing,make more boost. The boost valve becomes nessesary when you want to make boost pressures above 20 psi,so you do'nt need that yet.
I whole heartedly agree with the first sentence. I thought the TTAs already had one, but I may be mistaken. Regardless, having one in my opinion basically negates the need for an "adjustable boost valve". I've done without an aftermarket adjustable boost valve since buying my T, (13+ years) go reasonably fast, and things are fine. Sometimes simplicity is good. More complication begets more possibility of problems sometimes. *shrug* You do not have ****pit adjustability by using one, however.

I disagree sligtly with the "pressures above 20 PSI" comment as well. First, a stock turbo is out of its sweet spot above that point anyway. It become very inefficient; just heating the air greatly. And secondly, a high boost actuator (tighter spring) makes 20+ PSI no problem without a bleed valve, Grainger valve, or what have you. The same can be accomplished by adding an external spring hooked to the wastegate arm and a hole drilled in the actuator mount for extra tension, but doing it right is OK, too.