View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 04:54 PM

Kahn35 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Regarding sound of Weldon fuel pump on GN/T-Type

Keller and Ken... thank you both for your clarification. I know it was an odd question. Work, moving and a nasty flu have kept me from checking back on this thread until now.

It looks like most of what I am looking for can be achieved as long as I am thinking of a 10.6-11.0 second car. Maybe it is easier to just go with another set of wheels as well-- GNX style or another. The use of the Weldon pump was something I heard (I am pretty sure) in videos of Chris Chow's twin turbo GN. As well as on a couple of 9 second V8 dragsters. Why my insistence? Although Turbo Regals are known for their sleeper status, when I heard the sound of the loud, droning external Weldon fuel pump in conjunction with the TR's turbo spool when trans-braking... combined with the looks the vehicle is known for... it had, to me, the perfect sinister sound.

One of my pet peeves is portraying something with accuracy so, not owning a GN of my own to be familiar I needed to ask a few questions to see just how this combination would be straying from plausibility.

It sounds like using a Weldon on one of these cars would be a very crude and antiquated way to achieve what many people do with less trouble or complexity. If it's not too crazy of a suggestion, however (just a little but not terribly for a 10.6 second car as per your advice), I think I am going to go with it.

It sounds as if I could also localize the loudness of the fuel pump to be heard mostly from the outside very easily-- which for my purpose is a good thing. The interior can still be made very sedate. For weight, I am just going to assume I am dealing with a middleweight or heavyweight 3700lb version, so I'll stick with Ken's 600-620+ crank horsepower figure.

Thank you both and I'd love to stick around the forums. These are really amazing cars.