View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 03:42 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Turbo going bad?

I think you are pretty much on track. A few comments:

- The CPT-66 Turbonetics turbo is not stock appearing to my knowledge, in any of its various forms.
- I would NOT recommend octane booster for your race tune. It really doesn't "boost" quite as much as you would think, plus it leaves a lot of nasty deposits behind. Stick to pump gas on the street, and either true race gas or pump + alcohol injection at the track.

To truly be "stock appearing" for emissions, a TA-series turbo might be the best option. Other than the larger wheels, they are externally identical. They still use the bolt on inlet bells and everything. Whether this is necessary to please the California emissions Gods...perhaps those in Cali will respond.

Especially with your motor build, accomplishing your goals with something like a TA61 (perhaps even a TA60, TA53, or TA54) should be no problem at all. I just put a used TA61 on my car, and it was previously on David Day's (then) very stock GN with a completely unopened motor plus an "old school" Mark Jackson "intercooler and a half" (one and a half stock ICs welded vertically together) plus slicks. On that car, in good air, it went 11.20 with 42.5# injectors.