GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Fuel Systems

Old 08-04-2011, 06:18 PM

jjurva is on a distinguished road
Default Rochester Carb

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/roch...lp-197604.html
If you look at the first picture of this guys carb you ca see a small metal tube under the float. What is it. What should it be connected to. I have the same carb and believe this is causing me troubles. By troubles I mean it won't run if not fully choked. http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Carbs/R...l_0003_jpg.htm you can see it in this picture also bottom left of the carb. could be for an automatic choke, in which case could i just plug it?

Last edited by jjurva; 08-04-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:44 PM

charlief1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rochester Carb

What year car do you have? That carb was stopped in 77-78 for production vehicles. Some trucks may have used it but for cars it didn't make it past 78.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:42 AM

I got a 1962 buick v6 in a 1947 willys jeep. No idea what that little tube is though cause its definetly suckin some air?
Old 08-05-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjurva View Post
I got a 1962 buick v6 in a 1947 willys jeep. No idea what that little tube is though cause its definetly suckin some air?
Easiest way I've used to find an air leak is to spray some carb cleaner around while the engine's running. When it either pics up rpm or smooths out then you're in the general area of the leak. As far as the pics, I don't see the tube you're talking about.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:17 PM

Smile Re: Rochester Carb

I know theres a leak, thats what I was saying in my post I just didn't know how to solve it because the tube seem like it needs to be hooked to something so i wasn't sure if I could plug it or not. I may just be easier to have someone come take a look at it or just screw around with it and see what happens thanks for the help anyway. If it helps to see what I'm looking at (on the second link in my initial post it just right of the words float tang. Its the only unmarked tube in the picture.)

Last edited by jjurva; 08-09-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:59 PM

Got it now. That's a vacuum leak if you don't put some sort of cap on it. Plug it up and then use the carb cleaner after that and see if you find any more.