GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Hot Air Cars - 1984 - 1985 Turbo Regals/ GNs

Old 06-20-2013, 03:36 AM

jmcgrath_22 is on a distinguished road
Default motor swap need help

Well to start I will give a little back ground on what I got going here. Please approach with open mind as this is my first swap of this size. I recently purchased a 3.8 turbo sci out of an 85 regal. My plan is the attempt a swap into my 93 Toyota SAS. The motor is complete minus a wiring harness and ecu.. so my first question is what are my options for after market wiring kits or stand alone harnesses. I see a few options for the later 86-87 years but am curious if it could be adapted. I just don't know the specifics and differences between the years. Thank you for your help.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:38 AM

Default Re: motor swap need help

Sorry **Sfi**
Old 06-20-2013, 07:05 AM
Senior Contributor

pajeff87 is on a distinguished road

Caspers Electronics sells a complete engine harness... but it is not cheap. The advantage would be that everything is plug and play versus something like a universal harness that is going to require some work to install.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: motor swap need help

Enough 84/85 "hot air" turbo cars have been parted out that used wiring harnesses should be available. I would ask someone at http://www.gbodyparts.com/ or search on this and other sites for a used one.

The Caspers harness is nearly $800...
Old 06-21-2013, 03:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Shawn N is on a distinguished road

I would think Bobhebert has a used one for a reasonable price. Check his post under TR parts for sale.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:25 AM

Thank you everyone for the replies! I was searching around online and found this http://m.summitracing.com/parts/rfw-tb86 it says I can use this set up for my year motor If I swap the ecu and prom from a 86-87 model. Which is fine cause I have neither at the moment. Also I am not aware of what the prom is if someone could enlighten me. Are these two parts a direct swap or is there more to it. Any info would be great !
Old 06-25-2013, 03:40 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Since this is not going in an original TR, it might not be a bad choice. Not the cheapest choice (vs. used OEM) but a good one for this type of project.

http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=tb-86
http://www.ronfrancis.com/images/TB86-INST.pdf

It is easy to find the correct ECM, etc. See the site, as they were used in a few other cars and are available. The PROM is the Programmable Read Only Memory - the configuration chip with the tables. Easily obtained in the aftermarket.

You will need a MEMCAL chip, too. Probably only available used.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:43 PM

Another question I have is with my fuel system. I'm curious what to do about my fuel pump. Right now its a stock in tank Toyota pump. Would it be easiest to buy an aftermarket electric pump. Or will this new wiring harness be looking for a more buick OEM fuel delivery system. I see aftermarket high volume pumps for 86-87 gn's but they are in tank. Not sure best route or what size pump to even use. Input?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:57 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

It is possible to use an inline style pump. An old favorite used to be the Bosch "044" pumps. I think Walbro makes a higher flowing similar pump these days.

No matter what, using the stock circuit to trigger a relay switching a thick lead leading to the pump (what is referred to as a "hot wire" setup) would probably be best. That way you get maximum current feed.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:42 AM

Wink Re: motor swap need help

Thank you!!! Looks like I will add that to the order sheet! While on this subject.. Should I plan on taking the old stock pump out and installing just a pick up tube in its place. Or just remove the power source and leave it alone.. do you recommend any fuel line adjustments as far as size of line or will stock Toyota size be adequate. This is a pretty much stock 3.8