GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Turbochargers and Intercoolers

Old 03-11-2006, 07:27 PM

OldDrummer55 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to OldDrummer55
Default Normal Boost Behavior

When we put the pedal to the metal, what is considered normal turbo boost behavior from the point the turbo kicks in? Should the boost gauge needle smoothly hit the dialed in pounds? How quickly should it hit the target number? Should the needle fluctuate after hitting the target pounds?

My 87 GN has a relatively new TA49 and I'm in the process of dialing the car in via Turbolink. I turned the boost down to 16 pounds and I've noticed when I nail it the boost guage needle will smoothly and quickly hit about 10 pounds, and then slowly build up to 16 pounds. Is this normal? Somewhere in my fog shrouded drummer brain I recall you folks saying the needle should very quickly hit the target pounds and remain there without fluctuation. If this is true, what should I do?
Regards from the Pacific Northwest,
64 Mean Wife
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edund Burke
Old 03-11-2006, 09:07 PM

onefastcar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Normal Boost Behavior

Mine is a very quick transition to my set point and holds as long as my foot is still in the down position i would check your gauge lines first if your car feels good, i would think you would be logging some funky numbers on turbolink if not.
87 gn stock turbo, adj. waste gate act, hot wired 340 warlboro pmp, accufab reg., 42lb inj., 2 fan set-up, kenne bell cold air, smc alky kit, 2800 l/up converter, tt chip, scanmaster, not track tested heck not out of my garage shes gettin a makeover.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Senior Contributor

JHensberry is on a distinguished road

The boost, should rise fairly quickly, but smoothly, especially depending on the chip you are running.
Out of 1st gear my boost holds steady till I let off, however it does fluctuate a small amount.
Exhaust/Cold Air/Wastegate can effect the PSI the turbo will build and how quickly.
Any header cracks that you know of?
How much does the boost fluctuate?
Do you have a good amount of air coming into the engine?
What are your MAF readings?
Thanks, Joseph.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:55 AM

Mtocrs1 is on a distinguished road

Should reach max boost fairly quick depending on set-up. What kind of wastegate do you have. That would be a good place to start looking for problems.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:18 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Normal Boost Behavior

What injectors are in the car? Is the car detonating/knocking under boost?