GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Headers/Downpipes/Exhaust

Old 04-07-2014, 08:50 AM

Rob86 is on a distinguished road
Default RJC Vs Pypes

Hopefully someone who has either if those can chime in. I'm going to need and replace the cat back soon, and luckily for me remove the cat in favor of a 3" test. I like both of these setups but would like a recommendation. I like the 3" single setup by RJC, they advertise the setup is as good as an open dump pipe. The one downside on this is the cost at $600. Now the Pypes system sold through summit is $400 for the 2.5" 2 muffler setup. The downside is slightly more weight with the extra pipe and muffler. What I'm hoping someone can answer for me is, at some point down the road I'm going to upgrade to a 3" dp, on the Pypes system where the duals come together where it would connect behind the cat if you have one, how big is the opening? Is it 3"? Or 2.5" like the rest of the cat back? I'm all stock now, since I have to replace the exhaust I am just going to upgrade it now so I don't have to again in the future.

Thanks- Rob

Last edited by Rob86; 04-07-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:35 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: RJC Vs Pypes

All the duals I am aware of have an oval flange at the back of the cat or test pipe and it is more than capable of feeding off a 3".

The Pypes system is not domestically made and is a great value. The RJC is probably made better, and is domestic. Either will likely last forever since they are stainless. Just depends on what you want to accomplish and where you want to spend your money.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:28 AM

Default Re: RJC Vs Pypes

Thanks Keller. I just really don't know what I could accomplish with either of those setups over the other. All that I can think of with the RJC would be weight saving, and Pypes would be $ savings and I assume they would flow better if dual would equal a 5" diameter flow... Just a random guess. Although I did read somewhere on here that the "Y" in the dual would cause a little disturbance in flow.. Buuuttt I don't plan on ever having that much power too where that would matter, if that does happen.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:29 AM
Senior Contributor

pajeff87 is on a distinguished road

I installed the Pypes system on our car last year and it is very nice. My only issue is that the tip in the driver side is clocked wrong. Myself and a another Turbo Buick owner both voiced our concerns to Pypes and received zero response. That being said, I would not recommend against the Pypes system.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:24 AM

Pajeff87, nice pictures and thanks for the input. That minor flaw unfortunately is something I would take into consideration. If I did go with Pypes and received a system that was slightly off, being a perfectionist in training I would see that every time I looked at the car. In your opinion is that something that could be adjusted by playing with the hanger and maybe a different twist of the pipe coming off the muffler? -Rob
Old 04-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Senior Contributor

The issue lies in the loop up over the rear axle. I have it rotated as close to the spring as I can get. Modifying the hanger wouldn't help - the only rememdy would be to possibly re-cut the tip to rotate the slash cut counterclockwise, or to cut the entire assembly into two pieces so the tip could be rotated and the sections held together with a band style clamp.

Realistically, it isn't terribly noticeable as the tips are down low to the ground and you can not see them both at the same time except from directly behind the car from a ways back. I have that same problem as you though and if something isn't right it just plain bugs me. Here's a pic that shows the driver side tip:

Old 04-12-2014, 09:08 PM

I can see what you were saying, maybe cutting the slash on the back side making it bigger but keeping it parallel to the ground and then matching it on the passenger side so at least they look consistent. It still is a very nice setup, bit with the lack of customer service and that cut is still something I am going to consider vs. the $200 savings. Thanks for the input
Old 04-13-2014, 07:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Glad to assist. Let me know what you end up going with.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:17 AM

turbojd is on a distinguished road

Are they thre race pro mufflers you are using? Are you running a catalytic converter with this system or test pipe, I'm thinking about buying this exhaust system, just hoping it wasn;t too loud sounding.
87 GN PTE TA49, adj.fpr. 2 1/2" Pypes ex. 3" ATR downpipe 3" hI- flow cat, Race pro muffs. 60/65lb.mototron injectors, LT1 valve springs, heads pocket ported, 3 angle valve job, 3" LT1 maf/translator, 340 walbro/ hot wired. 93 TT chip,9"K&N.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, Pypes Pro Race mufflers and a test pipe. Sounds great imo -- not too loud and absolutely no drone. The Pro Race mufflers appear to be very similar in construction to the Magnaflow mufflers that I have on a couple of other vehicles - straight through perforated pipe on the inside.