GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Cooling Systems

Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Senior Contributor

JAMIEPACURN is on a distinguished road
Default Dual Radiator Fan mount Verses Stock Fan Set up

Hey guys, just wondered if anyone has a dual fan set up to help cool the radiator???? I have a front mount intercooler and if my car is just sitting the temperature can range from 185 to 200 degrees and thats with a 160 degree thermostat. However, when driving down the highway the temp will come down to 17 to 178 degrees. When looking at the stock fan set up there is a large portion of the radiator's surface area that is not even exposed to the fan. A dual fan set up looks like the entire radiator would be cooled down by both fans but maybe I'm wrong so that is why I'm seeking opinions on this issue. Anyone running these Buicks with temperatures under 170 degrees???
Old 07-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Royal-T is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dual Radiator Fan mount Verses Stock Fan Set up

there's lots of options.... depending on budget either get the dual Ramcharger/Dodge Interpid Fans or "Ball out" and buy the Dual Spals...

most "Major" Buick vendors stock them.

try http://www.gbodyparts.com/advanced_s...971075&x=0&y=0
or http://www.buickgn.com/dualfans.htm
or http://alradco.com/index.php?page=sh...chk=1&Itemid=1

hope this helps
aaron
Old 07-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Aaron,

Where can you obtaind the Dodge Intrepid fans and would they be a direct bolt on to an 1987 Buick application????? Thank you for the links. G-body sells the dual fans cheap but leary of buying anything from them again since they screwed me on my last order.

Furthermore, are you running these dual fans and if so what is your take on them???

Jamie
Old 07-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Royal-T is on a distinguished road

You can either find them on eBay, RockAuto, GBody, a junk yard, or maybe on one of the boards in the for sale section.... there was a write up years ago on the mods to get them to fit [its really easy and requires cutting a few tabs off]

I ran them for years without any major issues and a vast improvement in cooling. Now i run dual Spals from Pete at Alradco. With one of his nice radiators and precision matched shrouds... its expensive but its worth it to me. I have owned my car for years and drive it as much as i can and really wanted the cooling system tip-top when i drive across country on the PowerTour and various road trips.

aaron
Old 07-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Shawn N is on a distinguished road

Stock fan, metal air box, f-body radiator and 160 stat I run 165 to 170 on the highway, 180 to 190 in the city. The a/c adds 15 degrees or so when it's used. North Texas is pretty damn hot though this time of year. I could not get up over 170 is the winter/early spring. Casper's is another choice for the fans and most other vendors sell their set up. They will stand behind their products and take care of you if something goes wrong.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Hey thanks Shawn!! I didn't even realize Caspers even sold fans for the Buick. I love doing buisness with them so I will check out their set up. I want to do away with my stock fan for the lack of coverage on the radiator to me is really worthless but I guess a little bit helps. I just know a dual set up would have to be better than stock.

Thanks for the input
Old 07-12-2013, 07:58 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Dual Radiator Fan mount Verses Stock Fan Set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIEPACURN View Post
Hey thanks Shawn!! I didn't even realize Caspers even sold fans for the Buick.
Don't think they do. Harnesses, yes. Fans, no.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Shawn N is on a distinguished road

That's right Keller it's Casper's dual fan relay used on most Dodge Ram dual fan sets. Maybe I should look first next time
Old 07-13-2013, 09:42 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Dual Radiator Fan mount Verses Stock Fan Set up

FWIW, the Lincoln Mark VIII fan is a strong flowing unit. However, it needs better wiring than the OEM TR wiring, and it is loud. But the flow is hard to beat for the price.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...ooling_system/

Last edited by Keller; 07-13-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Mr. Keller,

Thanks for the Casper clarification concerning the wire harness instead of them selling the actual dual fans. I think Gbody parts sells a dual fan set around $250 and flows around 1300 cfm. After reading the article about Mark VIII fans there is just no comparison on the CFM ratings. Mark VIII would be the way to go but I'm sure there would be a lot of fabrication, brusised knucles, and a few choice words before getting that all hooked up. That was an interesting article on that custom Mustang using the Mark VIII set up.

Jamie