GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > FAQ and General > Turbo Regal FAQs

Old 08-13-2006, 02:12 PM

Okiebuyer is on a distinguished road
Default How can u tell the real thing?

Just wanted to know from a GN expert: How can you know for sure? If a carfax report lists a vehicle as Turbo Regal does that mean anythig? Since they're all really turbo Regals is that how their listed? Also does anyone know if the 1986 GN's all had powerlocks? I'd appreciate anyone's help in this matter. Might take a road trip to look at one and the seller advised that the carfax report lists it as a Turbo Regal and it has no powerlocks. Original owner (seller) assures it is in fact a GN. Just want to make sure with people who know alot more than I do.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How can u tell the real thing?

Key pieces to the puzzle:
  • Eighth digit of the VIN is "7" (86/87) or a "9" (84/85) which insures that it is an original turbo car
  • RPO sticker on the inside of the trunk lid (or label in the glovebox) has "WE2" as one of the options (that's the Grand National Package)
  • Look for MX0 and LC2 (trans and engine option codes for turbo motor and 200-4R)
  • Ensure ALL the VIN numbers match (cowl, trunk, door, etc.)
  • Look for correct badges and trim (black and grey door panels and seats unique to the GN, no "SFI 3.8 Turbo" badges on the trunk ... only Grand National badges, no red "T" badges, etc.)
Take a look here for option code (RPO) decoding:

http://www.gnttype.org/numbers/rpo.html

In 1986/87 most options were either available "ala carte" or mixed in with "Prestige Package" option bundles. It is possible for the car to have crank windows, manual locks, manual seats, and NO positraction (G80 RPO is posi), depending on how it was ordered. A WE2 (GN) will, as part of the WE2 package, have :

C60 AIR CONDITIONING
D35 SPORT MIRROR DRIVER-REMOTE, PASS-MANUAL
D55 FULL LENGTH CONSOLE
LC2 3.8 L SFI TURBO WITH INTERCOOLER
U63 RADIO - AM - MONAURAL
MXO 2OO-4R AUTO TRANS
QYZ TIRE -- BLACKWALL P215/65R15
B19 STEERING WHEEL HORN CAP EMBLEM
BY4 I/P NAMEPLATE APPLIQUE "GRAND NATIONAL"
W11 T TYPE PACKAGE
GM19 BLACK EXTERIOR COLOR
T43 REAR SPOILER
BX1 EXTERIOR ORNAMENTATION FRT END SPL
VH6 BAR -- RR IMPACT (BLACK)

The optional white letter tires QYH can be substituted for QYZ and any of the various radio/sound systems substituted for U63

Take a look here for VIN decoding:

http://www.gnttype.org/general/vin.html
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition

Last edited by Keller; 01-04-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:32 AM

Thanks, that helps!
Old 08-14-2006, 07:05 PM
Senior Contributor

buddiiee is on a distinguished road

The typical things people do to clone our cars are mainly 2 things:

They either want to convert an N/A regal (plain old buick regal, with most likely a leather or vinyl landau top cover, normal 3.8 V6, or 305/307, bench seat, 3 speed automatic shifter on the column, and a small selection of HORRIBLE interior colours, that include nasty red, nasty blue, nasty brown, or nasty tan. period. ) to a t-type, OR sometimes, they want to convert a turbo regal, to a full on grand national.
Either way, to do it completely, would be a horrendous job, that most people wouldnt have the time/money/patience to complete anyways. So what ends up happening, is someone takes their black turbo regal, throws some black bumpers on, and changes the emblems, and calls it a 'real grand national'. To us TR enthusiasts, its easy to spot, but to some, they would never know the difference.
Heck, theres people that still think our cars were 454's... So, to spot a turbo t conversion, look for a little hood ornament on the front clip, thats rectangular in shape, and an all grey interior. I mean ALL grey.. Or blue, or maroon etc etc. Those are the things some people never change over in those conversions..

As for the Normally Aspirated regals (just plain grandma buicks) Look for the engine obviously, then look for the interiors. No grand nationals were yuck brown, with bench seating, and 3 on the tree.... You know the deal.

A real grand nationals interior, whether its an 84, 85, or the 86-7's, were always unique, and trust me, youll know its a GN. Their interiors were pretty unique, and kinda hard to duplicate. Most fakers would never change out the entire interior, just to fake a car. Too much time and hassle.
Just cruise some gn pics, and study the interior. Youll learn the deal. :0 Good luck in your search for the black brick. Never settle. If it dont look right, or feel right...walk away. Always test drive.
KB chip,2400 TC,K&N cai,stage3 shiftkit,bilstein shocks,engine strap,1.375 rear bar,all 4 brace kits,2.5"catless dual exhaust,bosch afpr,airbag,160 t-stat,power plate,ported inlet bell,alum drums,S-10 cylinders.On deck:LT1 springs,hotwired walbro.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:45 PM

Yeah I have no reason to believe it to be a fake from the pictures! She was the one worried about that carfax report, most people that would be selling a fake would not tell you they were worried. The interior (pictures) is all GN so it would have been expensive to do. I wondered about the powerlocks and Carfax report.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:20 PM

MichaelS is on a distinguished road

As far as the car being called a Turbo Regal on the car fax, mine has always been called a Turbo Regal on my insurance since the day I got it from the dealer new, I don't know why but I guess the GN part doesn't matter to them. Oh and mine is a real '86 bought new by me. Good luck
Old 12-26-2012, 06:42 AM

truman is on a distinguished road

Yes it is for sure a WE4, But they made different colors didnt they? Also they made black ones with crome bumpers. I am led to belive only the first few where all black. I was wondering if any numbers for how many all black are out there.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:29 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: How can u tell the real thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by truman View Post
Yes it is for sure a WE4, But they made different colors didnt they?
Negative. WE4 = all black exterior. See the dealer order sheet copy elsewhere on this website.
Quote:
Also they made black ones with crome bumpers.
They made black TRs with chrome bumpers, but not WE4s.
Quote:
I am led to belive only the first few where all black. I was wondering if any numbers for how many all black are out there.
You were misled. All 1547 WE4s are all black with black bumpers.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Shawn N is on a distinguished road

I have seen a few hundred 86 GN's but all of them had power locks. Seen a few w/o power windows and seats but never w/o power locks. Good question!