GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Hot Air Cars - 1984 - 1985 Turbo Regals/ GNs

Old 10-13-2014, 07:18 PM

iwantatr is on a distinguished road
Default what are these worth?

I came across a pair of grand nationals at a shop in town that looked like they were sitting for a long time so I called them up and asked about them. The guy told me one was a 84 and one was a 85. Problem is one of the 2 has a 350 in it. He said they're in the process of putting a lien on them and is willing to sell the pair for $5000. Is there a strong market to part out the one with the 350 and keep the factory one? If i go this route how different are these from the 86-87. I don't think that it would be as easy as throwing a intercooler on it and calling it a day. If I could make the money needed to upgrade the factory one by parting out the 350 I would consider that. What concerns me is he said both are not running. The factory one he said had a burnt up distributer he "thought" this raises red flags for me because if it was something that easy I'd have it running and ask a whole lot more. Any thoughts on this?
Old 10-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: what are these worth?

The "hot air" cars are cool BUT they are definitely not holding values like the intercooled cars.

(You're right, it's not as easy to throw an intercooler on them ... a lot of architecture differences on the top end of the motor and electronics)

Depending on condition of the two cars (interior parts, rear/trans, body panels) you could come out smelling like a rose if you part the one out.

Unfortunately, $5-7K is pretty much the average price for a hot air car in good condition.
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 10-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Administrator

pfredricks is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pfredricks
Default Re: what are these worth?

The '84 Grand National should have the Lear Siegler seats, that is the only year that leather seats were included as part of the GN package. If the '84 has the 350, the seats will be the most valuable part of an otherwise Buick Regal.

Look for a limited slip differential, that might get you some cash.

As Ken says, there is too much work involved to set up the intercooler. Several brave souls have made this change, very few that I've seen look good.

Paul Fredricks
pfredricks@gnttype.org