GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Brakes

Old 10-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Survivor87 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Brother, can you spare a 60'?

Have you tried calling Moser? He might be able to shed some light on what's going on, as well as advise you on the bearing issue. I spoke with him several years ago when I bought some axles and he was very patient and helpful with my questions.
The stripped threads on that bearing support worry me more than anything....
Old 10-22-2006, 04:14 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: Brother, can you spare a 60'?

I have Moser pieces on the way. The shop was not using Moser or their sources.

They also suggested that the Heli-coils in the blocks might not be aligned correctly when installed. Have a new one of those on the way as well.

I'll get this beast tamed yet.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Tech Support

PaCemkr86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaCemkr86

keep us updated . im needing to upgrade my axles .. and kinda worried about going with c clip eliminator setup.

As my mustang goes 1.30 60fts for many years with a mini spool and good axles with factory c clips

My Turbo Buick
Old 10-30-2006, 01:04 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Post Re: Brother, can you spare a 60'?

The axle is back in. Everything is sealed up with generous amounts of RTV. And a new set of pads are in as well. Took the car out for a ~15 mile test drive yesterday. So far, all seems well.

Comparing the way my axle tubes were modified compared to the Moser instructions, I have a feeling I have been given...well...the short shaft. There is supposed to be 1/4" of tube hanging out for the bearing block to slide over. Mine does not. I would say I don't have much more than 1/8" projecting, and maybe another 1/16" of accessible tube sunk below the backing plate. However, the block only has that 1/8" to sit over. That might cause leaks. So, I put a thick bead of Permatex grey around the tube end, spread a bit lightly inside the very end of the bearing block, coated the mounting face of the block - avoiding the bolt holes, etc. All bolts were given anti-seize on the tips before insertion, and tourqued adequately. After mounting, the assembly was filleted with RTV to the backing plate. It was left with a heater blowing lightly on it for 12+ hours before any further assembly was undertaken.

Eventually put the pads on, drum on, and wheel on. Man, I hate drum brakes...

On the test drive, I came to a section of road where I was at a red light. Just after the light, the road narrowed from two lanes to one. The other lane had a new Beetle droptop in it. Figured "no problem...I'll beat this little bugger and be first at the next light". Light turned green, and the Beetle jumped quick. I leaned on the loud pedal, and the boost came up. Then...when 2nd gear kicked, the rears just started spinning and making a nasty shriek. Not good for forward motion...or tire wear. Figured I was working way too hard to get pole position at the next intersection, and garnering way too much attention from the umteen cars behind us. I backed off.

At least part of the car is still working right.

Have an afternoon date with the dyno, since I missed last weekend. Car is still in race trim. We'll see what happens...

On the brake focus, I'll tear things open after the dyno session and see if they stay sealed. The right side certainly has. No more racing this year, sadly. I'm pretty happy with the AutoZone Duralast pads so far, and think they should work OK as long as they don't get hit with axle lube again.

I may seriously look into a trans brake for next season.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Tech Support

PaCemkr86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaCemkr86

glad to hear to you got it fixed up

ps brake pads go on rotors
brake shoes go in drums

Scott i might be selling my fresh built Century stage II 200r4 with transbrake and it has the PTS extra deep pan , with a new WCC converter and g-body parts trans bracket and energy suspesnion mount and SFI trans blanket

My Turbo Buick

Last edited by PaCemkr86; 10-30-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:31 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Wink Re: Brother, can you spare a 60'?

Pads...shoes...Think I'm just dizzy from the gear lube fumes...
Old 10-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Senior Contributor

IL KIM is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear its running good Scott! I'd be dizzy too, if a bug beat me!
IL KIM 85 GN w/86 motor, TRW pistons, Weber 206 billet roller cam, EGR welded, o/sized valves, 130psi springs, roller rockers, 3000 conv, adj w/gate, FPR, custom rad, KB ram air, ported, KB headers, Walbro 340M/hotwire, 60lb Hi Z, CPT66bb