GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Driveability / Troubleshooting

Old 10-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Senior Contributor

JAMIEPACURN is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Needing help with drivability issue

I notice my coil pack has some play as I'am able to wiggle it around. Is this a normal finding on all Buicks???? The bracket underneath the coil is tight so not sure if this could be contributing to my car bucking as well as throwing the 42 code on the scan master. Just wonder if everyone else has a little play on the coil pack where it mounts.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:42 PM

cadillac is on a distinguished road

I would remove the bracket and coil/module assembly.
The use a little dielectric grease between the module and bracket where
it touches on the raised portion. Then tighten the 3 nuts securely.
IF the module does not have a very secure ground to the bracket/motor
it can short or just not work. The coil/module should NOT move around on the bracket. It you see evidence of corrosion between the module and the bracket, it may be too late. A coil may be shorted. Many times if a coil shorts the module becomes damaged so replace both if needed. Highway Stars.com recommended as I got 2 new ones in a row from the local parts store that were defective.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Well thanks everyone for the information. Hopefully, I can tighten up that coil pack so it will be more secure and possibly being the only issue. Will work on the car Monday night and see what the issue is.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Update: Took apart the coil and inspected the wiring. Everything appears okay. Checked the wiring harness that plugs into the ignition module and that appeared fine. I did however replaced the worn out electrical tape and replaced with new. The ignition module is loose and discovered the whole thing is being held down by one nut underneath the bracket. The other two nuts were completely missing. So that was why I was having play in the ignition module. However, still could possibly be bad ignition module and coil.

Orange wire inspected: Do not see any bad connection, cuts in the wire, and connection to battery solid.

Starter wiring has not been inspected yet.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:03 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Needing help with drivability issue

Was the bracket held to the angled bracket (made from round stock) by a bolt and to the intake with two nuts? My bolt in the rear has never fit well, and I'm sure others have found theirs missing if prior owners have not put it back securely.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:05 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac View Post
The use a little dielectric grease between the module and bracket where it touches on the raised portion. Then tighten the 3 nuts securely.
Why? You mention it needs to be grounded well. Why use dielectric to insulate it from ground? You mention the nuts that will aid in grounding, so why try to fight it?
Old 10-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Mr. Keller,

The angled bracket is rock solid in being held by the bolt and two nuts to the intake manifold. I have no missing parts there. However, the flat portion of the bracket I'm missing two nuts that securely holds the ignition module. I'm not sure if they vibrated off or have always been missing when I purchased the car. As far as ground is concerned, I did not see any grounding wire. I purchased a braided ground wire last year which I installed to the firewall. One end is mounted to the intake manifold bolt and the other pig tail is grounded at a bolt in the middle of the firewall. So I'm 99.999999% its being grounded properly.

Last edited by JAMIEPACURN; 10-07-2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Fixed my own error
Old 10-07-2013, 05:17 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIEPACURN View Post
However, the flat portion of the bracket I'm missing two nuts that securely holds the ignition module.
What about the nuts / bolts that hold that plate to the bracket and the intake? All of them there?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Default Ignition module ruled out

Mr. Keller,

All of the bracket bolts and nuts are all there, and all of them are very tight to the intake manifold. I took my ignition module to Advance Auto and they tested the ignition module three times. The ignition module passed every test three times so that is not the culprit. Could it possibly be a defective coil??? Would that throw a code 42 on the Scan Master?????
Old 10-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Default Problem fixed

Well during examination of my engine, I did discover one of my vacuum lines had a crack in one of the rubber side boots letting the vacuum line slip out. So I installed a new rubber boot and secure the line with electrical tape to prevent it from slipping out again. In addition, under the advice from Mr. Keller I took apart the ECM module unplugged both wire sets that attaches to the module and reinstalled them making sure they were seated well. I then lifted off the CalPak chip and my Turbo Tweek chip for a minute then seated them into position. I then installed the coil pack back onto the ignition module after making sure all the wires were connected properly to the metal tabs while securely making sure the ignition module was tight this time since my car was missing two nuts. After all the above was implemented, I've had no issues at all now. So I'm not sure if a vacuum line could have thrown the 42 code on the Scan Master or a combination of things. My car is operating smoothly now with no hesitation, lunging, or jerking like it was all the way to wide open throttle. Thank you guys for getting my car back on the road again!!!

Sincerely,

Jamie C.