GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Add-on Electronics and Electrical > MAFland

Old 03-27-2013, 12:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Shawn N is on a distinguished road
Default MAF Translator

Anybody know what kind of hp gain for changing the stock maf to the lt-1 or ls-1 maf sensor? I can't seem to find any info on any hp gains for it.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:14 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: MAF Translator

A lot depends on the build you are running. The LT1 MAF is pretty close to the stock MAF diameter, and I would not expect a huge gain from its use. The LS1 MAF is larger, and would offer less restriction. But it all depends on how much air you are trying to suck through it.

Again, a lot depends on the combination. If you stick with a 3" MAF hose or pipe and use a stock turbo at stock boost levels, the improvement will be very minor. If you increase the boost, use a larger turbo, and use a larger MAF hose/pipe, the improvements will really show. Any changes to the motor (i.e. cam, heads, intake) or turbo/intercooler will put more focus on the largest restriction, which can be the MAF.

I've seen and worked on cars that have been in the 11s or high 10s with the stock MAF. The Translator is not a required change to make pretty good power. But it can free up potential by removing its restriction.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Default Re: MAF Translator

Well with the current build up looks like the LS-1 will be the ticket. I think my current air intake may need to go up to 3.5" and move up to 009's or blue stripes. Any suggestions on cold air systems mainly the most bang for the buck w/o having to move items to make room. I'm just running a KN 3X9 on a 3" hard maf pipe and the intake temp is in the 140's when it's 70 degrees outside. Kind of had my eye on the Tin Man and Full Throttle one.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:04 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Question Re: MAF Translator

Care to share any build details? Neither the blue tops or 009s are very high output injectors. I'm guessing you are looking for build capable of high to mid 11s at best. A 3.5" MAF pipe is more than needed, as is the LS1 MAF in my opinion.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Care to share any build details? Neither the blue tops or 009s are very high output injectors. I'm guessing you are looking for build capable of high to mid 11s at best. A 3.5" MAF pipe is more than needed, as is the LS1 MAF in my opinion.
Well a low 11 high 10 would be ideal or 500hp. I think it's between 400 to 450hp now with the bolt-ons. I don't take it to the track but I do like to keep the legend alive if someone decides to dare. So far the build is TA-60, PTE 23 row slic, blue tops, 70mm plenum and tb, RJC power plate, voltage booster, 340 Walbro hot wired, scanmaster, no cat or emissions, hooker 2.5 cat back, 3" downpipe, ported/polished inlet bell and elbow, TT 5.7 93 chip, 10.4mm wires with high output coils and Autolite 24's, no tb coolant, 2800 lock up converter, Bilstein shocks, and 235 BFG T/A's so far. I'm currently running 20 lbs of boost with 1 to 2 degrees on knock at WOT on pump gas.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:04 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Lightbulb Re: MAF Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn N View Post
Well a low 11 high 10 would be ideal or 500hp.
I believe 500 HP in our cars is probably closer to 11.20-11.40, and not a high 10.
Quote:
So far the build is TA-60, PTE 23 row slic, blue tops, 70mm plenum and tb, RJC power plate, voltage booster, 340 Walbro hot wired, scanmaster, no cat or emissions, hooker 2.5 cat back, 3" downpipe, ported/polished inlet bell and elbow
IMHO, the TA60, as well as your HP target, requires more fuel. While I have known of a GN that touched 11.20 with a TA61 and 009 42# injectors, that occurred in very cool fall evening conditions, and not on pump gas. A T that I worked on blew a head gasket running lean at WOT after a 11.00 pass with 55# injectors in the summer weather. However, it likely had the earlier Walbro 307 pump vs. the 340, the chip was not a TT, and the timing was more aggressive. Again, the car was using leaded race fuel.

I believe most have found that the 60-series and above turbos make a lot of power at a bit above 20 PSI of boost. Check out their flow maps if you can. Again, more boost requires more fuel, and/or a higher octane or alcohol.
Quote:
10.4mm wires
Sadly, most of the larger wires simply have a lot of insulation and a thicker jacket to make them thick, and not a thicker core.

You mentioned a ported elbow. Is that the stock turbo exhaust elbow, or do you have a one piece elbow/downpipe? (i.e. Terry Houston type)

Don't want to get too far off the original topic. I will note that all of the high-10/low-11 cars I have worked on had the stock MAF. Can a larger one help? I believe it would. I don't think changing it will make as huge a gain until higher boost levels (say 24-27 PSI) are explored. And that opens up another frontier of requirements.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

It has a ported stock elbow with a 3" 2 piece downpipe. The dp was on the car when I bought it. I have no idea who made it, I've never seen one like it before and may have been custom made.