GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Driveability / Troubleshooting

Old 05-20-2007, 04:47 PM

Mungst3r is on a distinguished road
Default Knock

I know that knock is undesirable in any increment and somewhat have an idea of the mechanics of knock, but I recently installed my Powerlogger and when driving home testing it out I realized I had a knock retard of 3.2deg. Also my boost pressure would build up to 15psi, then drop down to about 10psi (I'm assuming from the knock retard). How much knock does it take to do damage? I'm just trying to get an idea so as I fix and tune I know what to freak out about and what to realize is an issue.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Senior Contributor

ed39 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ed39
Default Re: Knock

well if you go by the website the quick reference page there set up deals with less than 6 knock. 3 is ok. but the boost should go down like that. the computer just pulls the timing back. when i get knock the boost dosent go down. ware are your o2 milivolts?? a little lean maybe?
Old 05-20-2007, 11:11 PM

I'm not sure how the o2V should be normally, but when I was at full throttle with the most knock retard I was at 0.840-0.850. After that, when just driving normally down the road, the o2V are all over the place.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

ed39 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ed39

ok wat you want to aim for is 780 to 800 milivolts 840 is a little rich turn the fp down a tad and see how that goes. the o2s are suppsoed to be all over the place when your driving cause the computer it switching lean to rich depending on the driving conditions that is perfectly normal.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:39 PM

alright, cool and thank you. I'll mess around with it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Fast_t_type is on a distinguished road

I would have to say you really don't want any knock at all. Its OK to have some once and awhile but you don't want to have it all the time. Do you have a knock gage or just the power logger. Is the engine stock?( Like the cam). If so how many miles on it? What octane are you putting in the tank? Is it only on a hot day or all the time? If your car is stock set up is the air breather still hooked up to the turbo at the bell.(not air filter the breather from the pass side valve cover). If it is have you cleaned out you inercooler? They tend to fill up with oil from the breather over time. there are lots of little things that can cause knock. I hope this helps you a little. These are some things I learned.
Paul
Old 05-27-2007, 02:30 PM

I don't have a knock gage, it's just powerlogger. Stock engine with 78k miles. Everytime I fill it up I use 93 octane. I really haven't checked how often I get the knock, just installed the powerlogger last weekend and I don't like to put a lot of miles on the car (carpool to work). The air breather isin't hooked up to the turbo, it's just a breather on the end of the valve cover. I'm gunna lower the fp this weekend and also reset my iac and tps since i'm idleing a little rough.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Senior Contributor

All right. I'm sher you cleaned the incooler when you took the hose off the turbo to breather? When you do go for a drive look to see if there is knock under light loads or even a lot of knock at higher RPMs. If you have a stock cam in, they have been know to wear one of the lobs off and it will give you knock under low loads or even moderate acceleration. You would have knock all the time if this happens. This is rare but if you have a stock cam and take short trips or start the car and let it run for short times a lot this can happen. But like I said it dosen't happen a lot so don't worry about it.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:14 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Knock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungst3r
I'm gunna lower the fp this weekend
Careful...that might get you more knock if it leans out more.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Good eye Keller. I think you mean raise the FP right? As Keller said if it is alreay leaning out ( the prob for your knock) your going to make it leaner by lowering the fuel psi. Just one thing I forgot to ask is you fuel pump still stock? and do you have a hot wire kit for the fuel pump?