GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Cooling Systems

Old 07-23-2014, 11:02 PM

Wallio is on a distinguished road
Default Re: knocking noise

No bubbles in the tank.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:06 AM
Senior Contributor

pajeff87 is on a distinguished road

Do you have a white color to your exhaust after the engine warms up or does it have the sweet smell of coolant? If coolant is entering one of the combustion chambers it generally cleans all the carbon out and will look very different from the other cylinders. You may even be able to see a difference on the spark plugs if you pull them.

Only reason I mention this is that there is both positive and negative pressure in a cylinder as the piston progresses through the combustion cycle, so it may be drawing a small amount of coolant into the affected cylinder(s) as well as pushing air into the cooling system.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:56 PM

Wallio is on a distinguished road

It's alive and kicking again.
After work today I tackled this issue again. I was not convinced it was a head gasket. A friend of mine had a pressure tester which we installed. Noticed the pressure getting higher and higher. We shut off the car after a while running. He then heard the noise I was talking about. He said maybe the head gasket, but again no white smoke or bubbling in the overflow tank. We started the car up again and let it run. I noticed my cooling fan would never came on. I said there is probably air at the thermostat. We took out the hose going to the upper intake from the water pump. Coolant game out we then made the car run again and removed the pressure tester and a splurge of coolant came out. I kept it running and added more water. After a while I noticed the sound of the car changed. It was then my cooling fan came on and that's when I knew it was air the problem. After a while running ... checked the temp on the upper hose and it was 163 and thermostat opened.
All seemed to fall back in place. Drove a good part of the night and it's all good so far. Bottom line it was air which was stuck in the system and was hard to come out.
Unless it's a head gasket on his way out? All I can say...happy to drive it again after four years of storage.

Thank you much everybody for your help.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:52 PM
Senior Contributor

pajeff87 is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear that you are up and running again.