GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Transmission / Torque Converter Tech

Old 04-15-2010, 04:02 PM

ChevyBelly is on a distinguished road
Default Installing a used 200-4R

I have a 200-4R from a MCSS. It has the green governor and the valve body has CZ4 and pink paint. I dropped the pan and the fluid looked near perfect. There was also no debris whatso ever in the pan neither. My question is, if I skip the below 350 HP/TQ reccomendations listed here (boost valve, upgraded band, hard sun shell, pump stator shaft and VB recal) and keep the tranny stock, what should the tranny be capable of? I have a 350 block with 305 heads, 3.73 posi, dual exhaust, headers, dual plan manifold, 600cfm carb and im assuming the block has a stock truck cam. The car dies out over 4500 RPM. I want to know if I can up and down shift at part throttle. If not, ill live with the WOT shift points built in the governor. I want this tranny to see a lot of life. I am sicked that I got my hands on such a clean unit. It came with TC and TV cable. I think i paid $60

Old 04-19-2010, 03:31 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Installing a used 200-4R

Judging by the gaskets there, I think you have a rebuilt trans.

Not sure I understand why you want to row your own gears. If the trans is not set to meet your engine's requirements, maybe you need a converter and/or governor change. Not to mention setting up the TV properly. Shifting yourself doesn't make up for things being wrong.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Installing a used 200-4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Judging by the gaskets there, I think you have a rebuilt trans.

Not sure I understand why you want to row your own gears. If the trans is not set to meet your engine's requirements, maybe you need a converter and/or governor change. Not to mention setting up the TV properly. Shifting yourself doesn't make up for things being wrong.
Ok, so the green governor shifts at 5000 RPM right?
Old 04-19-2010, 12:18 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Thumbs up Re: Installing a used 200-4R

The MCSS governor should shift around 5000.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:44 PM

Thanks Keller. Basically, I have a b&m shifter and would like to shift manually. will the trans go HD2 kit and a cooler allow me to shift manually safely?
Old 04-19-2010, 05:20 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Question Re: Installing a used 200-4R

Do you know what (if any) kit is in it now? I'm guessing not since it was a yard pull.

If you want to row your own gears, why not go with a manual? Sell the MC 200-4R and make some money from it to buy a used six speed.

An automatic is designed to shift on its own. It will probably shift faster than you can, if properly set up. If you want the "feel" of shifting, put a faux shifter in and play with that.

A cooler is valuable in any performance application. I don't think it helps justify manually shifting an auto, however.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Do you know what (if any) kit is in it now? I'm guessing not since it was a yard pull.

If you want to row your own gears, why not go with a manual? Sell the MC 200-4R and make some money from it to buy a used six speed.

An automatic is designed to shift on its own. It will probably shift faster than you can, if properly set up. If you want the "feel" of shifting, put a faux shifter in and play with that.

A cooler is valuable in any performance application. I don't think it helps justify manually shifting an auto, however.
I am relatively new to classic cars. im 28 and owned hondas, and nissans for my first cars. My 3rd car was a cadillac and I fell in love with muscle cars since. I have a 78 nova that is under reconstruction. its near impossible to find a clutch pedal assembly and z bar setup for that car....(i ebayed the only set i came accross ) I think I have to accept I wont be able to shift an automatic like I want to....I installed a trans go 350 -1&2 kit in my TH350 and it burned up in like a month.....But I made some mistakes while beating on it. The TV cable was never adjusted properly. The vacuum hose fell off at the modulator after I re routed the end to the manifold. I went beating on the car and the fluid was boiling out of the tranny. My engine temp went up also probably because the fluid was hotter than the engine coolant. but anyways....I want to get it right this time....the tranny and engine are out of the car and I know I have to do things right and by the book now
Old 04-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

Just a couple points ...
  1. THM350 didn't really have a TV cable (it was a kick down linkage, probably) since it had a vacuum modulator.
  2. The 200-4R doesn't have any vacuum modulator and relies on the TV (throttle valve) to modulate shift pressures in the transmission.

The reason I point this out is that it is CRITICAL to have the TV adjusted properly on a 200-4R. If you thought the 350 burned up quick, the 200-4R will be cooked even quicker ...
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 04-20-2010, 11:43 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Lightbulb Re: Installing a used 200-4R

...and not because they are junk. Because they must be properly adjusted in order to shift properly. On their own, y'know.

Not trying to offend. Many of us have spent a lot of time dealing with these trans. Set up properly, they can be a very strong, reliable piece. However, I think doing what you want just isn't right. Set your hand on the shifter and make "vroom vroom" noises if you must. But let an an automatic do its thing. You'll be financially grateful down the road.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

One final thing, IF you are pretty talented in transmission work ...

TransGo makes (or at least used to make) a full manual valve body kit for the 200-4R. I think it also makes the shift pattern reversed (or that's an option) ... many many moons ago, when we were still learning, I had one of those in my car (for one day!) because my trans guy thought that was the solution we'd all love.

I hated it and we pulled it out the next day and never looked back.
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition