GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Turbochargers and Intercoolers

Old 08-27-2011, 11:24 AM

jlat is on a distinguished road
Default turbo on my mind

hello people; I've got a new turbo on my mind and my question is do you think there is a break in time? procedure for a new turbo? . If you did install a new turbo what did you do? I've got over 100,000 on my stock one and it seems OK for now.
IBBY
Old 08-27-2011, 08:50 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: turbo on my mind

There should be a reason for changing it. Does it have a problem, or are you just looking to upgrade? Note that simply having a lot of miles does not mean a turbo is "worn out". Proper oil changes and not overheating its bearings can make a turbo last a long time.

If you want to change it to a larger one, be aware that other changes may need to be made. The torque converter may need to be changed to a higher stall unit in order to match the turbo's characteristics. In addition, there is likely to be a need to move to larger injectors. And if that is done, the chip will have to be changed to match, and the fuel system needs to be in top shape. Stock pumps and wiring are rarely enough.

Honestly, not much needs to be done in order to "break in" a turbo. A bit of driving after the initial installation, then stop to check for oil and air leaks, should be all that is necessary.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:13 PM

Default Re: turbo on my mind

hello; I don't know what I want. My stock one works fine. I do know I'd like to get the turbo housing coated to get rid of some under hood temps. I'm getting the shield done and when my new DP comes in I'll get that done also. I guess I could send my stock tubo out and refresh it and get it done that way or get a new one and have it made like that. I'm learning about all that needs to be considered to change a turbo and I believe I got that covered.
Has anyone sent out there turbo for a refresh? If so where and how much? There is a guy on another site who says he's going to make a video of a rebuild of a stock TB turbo with alot of miles on it. We'll see.
IBBY
Old 08-28-2011, 12:55 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Exclamation Re: turbo on my mind

If your stock one works fine, it is fine. Unless it is burning oil or you want to upgrade, why bother it?

Coating it won't do much at all. IMHO, not worth it, and I've never done it on any of the turbos I've had on my car. "Refreshing" just basically means new bearings and seals. If yours are fine, no performance increase will result. Rebuilding yourself is possible, but it still needs to be checked for balance before installation. If you don't do this there is a good chance your new bearings will be destroyed soon after installation. I've warned others about this, and by ignoring me they have had issues.

Determine what you want to accomplish, and then decide a strategy for getting there.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:16 PM

hello; I don't know about the coating either but a vendor had a story where he replaced his coated turbo with one that was not and he said he melted? his none stock hoodliner. That's a recent story and I don't know any more so don't ask.
IBBY
Old 08-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Tech Support

PaCemkr86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaCemkr86

what are your goals with this car? Alot can be said for the stock turbo with some tunning

My Turbo Buick
Old 08-28-2011, 05:57 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Lightbulb Re: turbo on my mind

I was able to get my car to go 12.20 with all the stock stuff. And 12.10 with just an injector upgrade. Stock turbo, unopened motor, etc. May have been able to make it faster yet, but switched to a TA49 right after that and have just been going faster.

Need to find a goal first.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:04 PM

hello; I have no real goals. I just want a good runnin fast street car and I have that now. The turbo is just a thought. There's always room for improvement and that's all I'm doing. I think? It is a hobby and a big boys toy. I guess it never ends as long as the money doesn't.
IBBY
Old 08-28-2011, 09:49 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Exclamation Re: turbo on my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
I guess it never ends as long as the money doesn't.
IBBY
Very true.

As they always say: Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

Remember, the faster you go the more issues you potentially have. Not discouraging you from doing upgrades; only suggesting you decide on what level of performance you want, and do all the correct steps to get there. Hacking at it or doing 'ricer' tricks are a waste of time and money. And leaving it stock isn't a crime, either.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:06 AM

hello; To tell the truth I was pretty happy with the car and going to different sites on the TB gets you thinking. I believe it is getting better so it's all good. But it is a toy so that makes me a grown kid.
IBBY