GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Body/Trim/Detailing Tips > Interior Details

Old 05-01-2009, 10:55 PM

turbopilot231 is on a distinguished road
Default Headliner sagging

Cloth is separating from the headliner on my 87 GN. Looking for suggestions on repair or replacement.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:42 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Headliner sagging

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/body...headliner.html

In addition, Jax Seat Cover has pre-covered boards ready to go.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:39 AM
87 W02 Y56 LC2

speeddemon165 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Headliner sagging

its real easy to chang out the headliner in the buick not so easy to pull it out the door. most older cars have a yellow papery board but the g body has a foam board. so long as you dont bend it much or apply pressure to any one spot you can keep it in one piece. once its out lay it on some thing flat and peal all the fabric off hopfully the foam is rotted as well it make removing it so much easyer if not use a metal brush and more or less brush it off try not to damage the board

now that its clean and smooth (any little bump will show trough) get some kind of spray glue we used the stuff that the upolstery shop gave us it was green and smelt like paint thiner lay a good even coat of glue

lay the new headliner upside down on the the board spray only half of it pick it up and get it out of the way now spray a little over half the board i do the back its easyer to start with let it set up for about 15 to 30 min then with some ones help hold the headliner over the board glue side to glue side and get it about 2in away from the board and pat down the middle and smooth your hands around the board it does not need to be pulled tight the glue will hold it watch out for the hangers in the back you need to allow for a little slack so you can push the fabric in to them

now half of the board should be done now roll the head liner over the back and spray the glue on the front of the board and headliner let it set up like before now with some ones help hold it at a low angle to the board not touching any thing and start in the middle and smooth the fabric around from the center forward and outward

if you let any thing bunch up or glue touch any thing with glue on it its stuck forever

not trim off all the edges as if you were edging your drive way the g body has trim that covers all the edges also use a punch to clear out the visor holes and razor out the light if you have one and put it all back together like you took it out

or a shop can do it in about 90 min and for around $150 the headliner fabric should cost around 9 bucks and the glue is 30 for a big can (you will have left overs) you can buy it from upolstery shops or from there supplier

mike
Old 05-02-2009, 10:42 AM
87 W02 Y56 LC2

speeddemon165 is on a distinguished road

oh sorry i just read the link seems like i jumped the gun
Old 05-02-2009, 04:57 PM

Regal84 is on a distinguished road

Hello folks,
There isn't much you can do if your headliner is sagging. Either live with it or buy a new one all covered already. If your on a buget SPEEDDEMON gave a preety good description on what to do. I've redid about 10 of these headliners so far just recently did my T-top headliner. If yours is practically
falling off it will make the cleaning of the board soo much easier. use the brush I like using hard nylon brush firm under pressure. For glue you can use
3M 90 spray adhesive. Importaint if you are taking this out to salvage it. Remove the metal trim in the front and unscrew the back trim but don't pull it down since you might break the plastic clips in the back. If you do they are still available from GM for like $3.00 ea. loosen door trim, a pillars and sail pannels. Take off the sunvisors. BE REALLY CAREFUL the holes around the sunvisors are really brittle and break really easy. Move the seats back and recline them all the way back. Open the doors all the way up and slidethe headliner down and try to position it to go out the passangerside door NO STEERING COLUMN!! If you never done this and are unsure always PAY A PROFESSIONAL. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:25 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Headliner sagging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal84 View Post
There isn't much you can do if your headliner is sagging. Either live with it or buy a new one all covered already.
Not true. Read the link posted. With the fabric, and the spray adhesive, you can do it yourself. I have, and it is not that hard. Just take it slow, and pay attention to detail. Even breaks in the foam board can be fixed after removal by gluing pieces of newspaper or thicker paper stock to the front and back to cover/repair the cracks/breaks.

I have heard that the proper type of foam backed fabric is available in large fabric shops. I do not know if this is the case. Jax Seat Cover used to sell the fabric and adhesive in a kit, bit now just sell a pre-assembled board.