GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Electrical/Ignition

Old 11-13-2015, 10:44 AM

buickpe87 is on a distinguished road
Default Fusible links near to the starter

I had to replace the tarter in our GN 87. Starter is Powermaster. Now the all cables donīt reach to the starter. I mean the smaller cables, which has to be bolted in to the main position and the R- position(I have renewed earlier the main cable from the battery and it is ok). There is three fusible links near to the starter.

Now I have to lenghten the cables in question. Is it an good idea to feed the new longer cables from the engine compartment through the aftermarket fuse box and discard the original fusible links?

I have already pulled the cables up in to the engine compartment and now is the two possibilities; to lenghten the cables in the engine compartment soldering the additional cable pieces into each(two joint positions in each or the press joints) or the new cables with one joints from the original cable ends trough the new fuse box located in the engine compartment to the starter discarding the original fusible links.

Yes, installing the new cabling through the new fuse box there is also the several joint points adding the voltage drops a little bit.

How to proceed?
Old 11-19-2015, 05:56 AM
Senior Contributor

JAMIEPACURN is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fusible links near to the starter

Any chance of getting a different starter where the wires would reach so you wouldn't have to mess with either one of those headaches???? (Just a thought)

Jamie C.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:11 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

The fusible links are there as a failsafe ... I think I'd just lengthen the cables by adding on to the end of the existing cables (maybe even as simple as a bolt through the eyelets and another extender cable with an eyelet?)

OR ... as pointed out, I'd get a direct replacement so I didn't have to mess with it. Probably the easiest thing!
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 12-07-2015, 06:48 AM

Thanks for your answers!

I had to lenghten the cables, because the Powermaster Ultra Torque, which I purchased is shorter than original and the solenoid is locatde in a different position compared to the original starter.

The fusible links are still there.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:16 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Fusible links near to the starter

When I went to a LT4 starter I ordered slightly longer cables from Caspers to it would all bolt up.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:19 PM

Hi,

thanks for your answer too Scott!

So, what I did, was(maybe stupid cable work): I pulled up into the engine compartment the cables from the starter except the cable from the battery to the starter (it was long enough; replaced it earlier with thicker one).

To pull the smaller cables up to the engine compartment was not so easy regarding to the small cable route area between the firewall and the other cables. Anyway, after pulling the cables up, I soldered the extensions( about 20 cm) to the cables and partly I had to use the crimp- joints.
(My solder gun didnīt serve me right in the all work).I used the heat crimping socks in all joints anyway.

After the extension work pulling the cables down from the engine compartment back down to the starter area was more difficult than pulling them up, because the cable feed area was smaller than before now, because I had to pull hard the cables up in the engine compartment for joint work(stupid) and this plugged even more the mentioned cable feed area. I mean the other cables in that area, which plugged somehow the route when pulling the cables up.

So, the work is done now anyway. How about the starter quality, is it ok or not?

Thanks,

Pentti