GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Fuel Systems

Old 09-09-2006, 12:51 PM

MSKBuick is on a distinguished road
Default Injectors

Does any one have thought on fuel injector brands? I was thinking about a High Impedance set from Racetronix, any thoughts, good or bad?
Old 09-09-2006, 07:45 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Injectors

Any particular size in mind?
Old 09-09-2006, 08:01 PM

MSKBuick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Injectors

I was thinking either the 42 lb/hr or maybe the 50 lb/hr (high impedance).
Old 09-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

Racetronix, Full Throttle, etc. carry a full line.

The 60# High Zs are hard to beat ... kind of the "gold standard" for upgrading.
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 09-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Senior Contributor

IL KIM is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: Injectors

I'm curious as I did not realize so many people were running what I thought were "high" volume injectors. Can someone please share your thoughts on how to calculate or know the what size to choose from experience?

I basically have 30 or 32 lb/hr high impedence (depends which literature you read) green stripe Lucas injectors. 1) Is this too small for my GN? It's bored out .03, has oversized inlet & outlet valves, roller rockers w/extra lift, stock ECM, Walbro 340m w/hot wire, and (currently) stock fuel regulator (43 psi measured), adjustable wastegate, 2800 stall convertor, shift kit, exhaust headers, dual muffler/tailpipes.

2) Do you have to have an aftermarket chip (Have Kenne Bell chip, but running stock chip) to go with higher flow injectors?

Seems like I have the hardware, but can't go past 17psi boost without serious detonation and retard.

Thanks!
IL KIM 85 GN w/86 motor, TRW pistons, Weber 206 billet roller cam, EGR welded, o/sized valves, 130psi springs, roller rockers, 3000 conv, adj w/gate, FPR, custom rad, KB ram air, ported, KB headers, Walbro 340M/hotwire, 60lb Hi Z, CPT66bb
Old 09-11-2006, 10:32 PM

turbojd is on a distinguished road

I run the mototron 60 injectors and love em, gives me more room to grow if I want to with out worrying about having enough fuel. I had Eric burn me a chip for the 60 injectors, the car idles and runs excellent with em.. As far as your car I would get an adjustable fuel regulator, take out that Kenne-Bell old chip, it has too much timing in it for todays gas, also your stock chip has too much timing in it for todays gas. Thats probably why you getting alot of knock at 17 lbs. Get a more modern chip and never look back. Change your injectors down the road if you want, but I would do what I said first and get the car running strong first. Just my 02 cents.
87 GN PTE TA49, adj.fpr. 2 1/2" Pypes ex. 3" ATR downpipe 3" hI- flow cat, Race pro muffs. 60/65lb.mototron injectors, LT1 valve springs, heads pocket ported, 3 angle valve job, 3" LT1 maf/translator, 340 walbro/ hot wired. 93 TT chip,9"K&N.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:36 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Exclamation Re: Injectors

Those are the "30 Lb./Hr Lucas 'green stripes'.

You have a cam, valves, rockers, converter, and exhaust. Very minimal mods. Those injectors work fine with a stock or stock injector chip.

However, NO CHIP WILL REALLY LET YOU RUN GONZO BOOST WITH PUMP GAS. Something close to stock boost using a modern pump fuel is about all you can get.

Larger injectors will not help.

Period.

What you need is either (1) race fuel - this has several downsides such as cost and availability or (2) alcohol injection - very popular. There is always (3) more improvements that let the car breathe ane make more power, to get more from the same type of fuel. Larger injectors may be required. However, you still will not be able to run more boost pressure, just more air volume.

The KB chip will have more timing than the stock chip, and be harder to use at that boost level. In fact, likely impossible without much more knock.

I do nope you have some sort of scan tool.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Tech Support

PaCemkr86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaCemkr86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmosher
Racetronix, Full Throttle, etc. carry a full line.

The 60# High Zs are hard to beat ... kind of the "gold standard" for upgrading.
i love em and run em everything from mild to wild

My Turbo Buick
Old 09-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Senior Contributor

IL KIM is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. I not not want to have to need race fuel or add alky. I know an engine is basically an air pump; the more air you can get in, the more fuel you can add and the more power that can be made. I also do not necessarily want more boost.

SO I'm a little confused, but if I read this correctly, 1) I don't need larger injectors right now. If I get them I would need to have a chip burned for tehm, 2) Throw away the Kenne Bell chip (Can I have it reprogrammed?) and get a modern chip (probably why I'm running the stock chip, 3) get an adjustable regulator (again) to increase fuel pressure?, and 4) there are 3 other mods I can do without changing boost or larger injectors - what are they please Ken? I have the Kenne Bell Ram Air kit. I can't think of what the other 2 would be.

No I don't have a scan tool, and I looked at scan tools in the technical section and not sure what all it costs/how to use while driving, but let's stay with the main topic please. Sounds like Turbojd is using 60lb injectors with chip and loves it..

Thanks again.
IL KIM 85 GN w/86 motor, TRW pistons, Weber 206 billet roller cam, EGR welded, o/sized valves, 130psi springs, roller rockers, 3000 conv, adj w/gate, FPR, custom rad, KB ram air, ported, KB headers, Walbro 340M/hotwire, 60lb Hi Z, CPT66bb
Old 09-12-2006, 12:36 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Exclamation Re: Injectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL KIM
Throw away the Kenne Bell chip (Can I have it reprogrammed?)
Yes. 2732A chips don't grow on trees. They probably haven't been made in years. Save the chip and the carrier. The KB code is not a modern strategy.