GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Mechanical

Old 03-09-2009, 01:26 AM

Hardcore HP is on a distinguished road
Default 1985 smog pump?

I'm rebuilding the an '85 GN and was wondering if was ever equipped with a smog pump? This car did not have a smog pump, or cat converter on it when it was brought into my shop. The converter was replaced by a poorly-fabricated exhaust tube bolted to the factory flanges. The cat's original heat shield is still bolted to the undercarriage. If I install a new performance cat, such as one from Magnaflow or Dynomax, will I have to add a smog pump? There are no fittings on any of the headers for air injection, so I'm assuming these cars were not equipped with air pumps in 1985. My customer wants to pass all required emissions tests.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-09-2009, 03:05 AM
Senior Contributor

87geeinn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1985 smog pump?

Quote:
... was wondering if was ever equipped with a smog pump?
No.

As far as emissions are concerned, these cars were equipped with an EGR system, a PCV, cat converter (obviously), and gas vapor canister. Not sure about the '85 "hot air" setup, but on the later '86-'87 models, the passenger side valve cover had a tube leading from the breather to the inlet bell of the turbo to suck additional vapors from the crankcase.

www.turbotweak.com offers a fairly inexpensive emissions chip that will aid in passing emissions testing, especially if you're located in CA.
87 GN, stroker, Champion irons and intake, 218/212 cam, TE60, 70mm TB, Precision plenum, FMIC, Alky, Innovate WB, TurboTweak, Powerlogger, 9" real Art Carr non-lock, Brian Hofer 200r4, TA stainless headers, 3" DP, 60lb injectors, MT ET Streets.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Administrator

pfredricks is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pfredricks
Lightbulb Re: 1985 smog pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87geeinn View Post
Not sure about the '85 "hot air" setup, but on the later '86-'87 models, the passenger side valve cover had a tube leading from the breather to the inlet bell of the turbo to suck additional vapors from the crankcase.
The hot air cars are the same with the breather tube as well as all the others mentioned. Just a different routing and configuration, the tube is on the driver's side valve cover and leads into the plastic air duct just before the throttle body.

Paul Fredricks
pfredricks@gnttype.org