GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Add-on Electronics and Electrical > General Electrical

Old 12-04-2005, 10:12 PM

(robbie/vinnie) is on a distinguished road
Cool alarms

Guys,what kind of alarms are being used on the GN's to help stop theft?
Old 12-05-2005, 05:31 PM

hounddogs! is on a distinguished road
Default Re: alarms

An alarm's next on mine, but I think the steering column collars are a good deterrent as well. It won't help if your thief has a rollback, but does defeat the hammer-to-the-turn-signal-stalk method. A close-fit padlock from your local locksmith gets you around the bolt cutter issue as well.

$55-60 for the Ultra at http://simjack.com or
$75+ on ebay
$15 for the padlock

I'll be interested to what everyone says about alarms, too.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Senior Contributor

86Nick is on a distinguished road

No one pays attention to alarms going off anymore. The collar is a good idea.Also rewire main power to ecm, so you can easily disconnect it. With out any power to ecm the car will never start and the thief won't waste time trying to track down the problem. Although if they want it bad enough they will flatbed it away. Hey you know that's why it"s best to have full coverage insurance on it.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Tech Support

PaCemkr86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaCemkr86

a hidden kill switch works best IMO
Old 12-15-2005, 07:46 AM
Senior Contributor

buddiiee is on a distinguished road

best thing to do, is to deter him initially. an alarm, with a blinking light on the dash is one way. .and make sure its a higher end alarm, with mercury switches in the car, and on the trunk as well. then throw a club on the steering wheel, and a column lock as well. i have that all black steel collar lock from murrays auto. comes with an American hardened steel lock as well. theres steel walls that surround the padlock once its on, to resist bolt cutters. you can even go so far as getting that adapter that lets you take your steering wheel with you if you so desire. I live in a bad part of detroit, where the G bodys (especially regals, and ESPECIALLY GN'S) are a very very hot commodity. i mean the non swimmers are ALL OVER em. So i know how to thwart theft. the best defense i guess, against a flatbed, is a very loud alarm i suppose. or you could rig it with explosives. which is not beyond what i would do, to tell you the truth. I'm also considering the 'lojack' type of tracking system as well. and of course, i carry full coverage. to be honest, most TR owners will MAKE money if their ride is stolen. quite a bit actually.
KB chip,2400 TC,K&N cai,stage3 shiftkit,bilstein shocks,engine strap,1.375 rear bar,all 4 brace kits,2.5"catless dual exhaust,bosch afpr,airbag,160 t-stat,power plate,ported inlet bell,alum drums,S-10 cylinders.On deck:LT1 springs,hotwired walbro.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:51 PM

bozplya is on a distinguished road

I have the top of the line Viper which has motion detecters, tilt sensor, kill switch, shock sensor etc. but the coolest option is you can now add a camera that takes pictures of the interior once the alarm has been activated.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:32 PM

DaveT is on a distinguished road

I use The Carroll Shelby Branded 750R I really like it, It has some very nice features such as the battery backup siren ,and 2 way paging. Also las tbut definently not least is the built in turbo timer . I also have a few lil tricks as back up not to mention she ALWAYS sleeps in the garage.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Senior Contributor

turbopowered68 is on a distinguished road

Alarm With No Shock Sensor Is Good Along With Everything Else.