GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Brakes

Old 07-11-2007, 01:05 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Always check here before asking Powermaster / Hydroboost diagnostic questions

Whether you have a Powermaster (86/87) or Hydrobooost (84/85) brake system, there is a lot of diagnostic information at http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/brakes/brakespage.html Always check there first before asking questions. It may be able to be answered via the data there.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:55 PM

knelson53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Always check here before asking Powermaster / Hydroboost diagnostic questions

I have gone over all the information on the diagnostics and still can not come up with a solution to the behavior of my power master system. It all started when the light cam on and I opened the reservoir to see the pump was sucking air. Ok that's an obvious problem, and I took the steps necessary to refill and bleed the reservoir and basically change out the dirty fluid at the top end. Also did have to replace the 20 amp fuse once, but it holds now and hasn't blown since I replaced jot.

Now the system world intermittently. Sometimes the lift comes on and I lose all power to the pedal two brakings later. Then if I park on a slight incline (nose up) the system starts working again. No evidence of air in the system can been seen on the reservoir. Just for maintenance I replaced the pressure switch and the accumulator ball with new ones, but the system continues to operate intermittently. Any ides what to check next in figuring this out? I also bled the line from the pump boss out to the rubber connection, but did not pull the internals or the spring. Just noticed that you can remove them with a wood screw, so I may try that this weekend.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:27 PM

knelson53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Always check here before asking Powermaster / Hydroboost diagnostic questions

Ok, sorry to be posting again on this worn out subject, but I have further information. After talking with Mike at Spool Fool, I went back and tried his suggestion of wiggling connections while the ignition was on. Wiggling connections to the pressure switch, and power to the pump motor produced no results, however, tapping lightly with a hammer on the pump housing started the pump and the brakes work normally. I guess this is a case of a bad pump motor and I appreciate the resource information for the part number to replace the pump and motor. Problem is solved for now.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the update! Always good to share and help the next person troubleshooting similar issues ...
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition