GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Driveability / Troubleshooting

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2010, 08:38 PM

deus402 is on a distinguished road
Default 85 GN Will not set DTC's but flashes code 12

like the title says, i have an 85 Grand National, it idles around 2000 RPM, and the engine bogs down under acceleration. I jumpered pins A and B on the ALDL, it flashes code 12, but no other DTC's were set. I have a mastach ALDL cable, so i decided to fire up WINALDL, so i could at least see what was going on where, but WINALDL doesn't recieve anything off of pin E of the ALDL connector.

at this point i kinda figured the ecm is smoked, but it does flash code 12 when the aldl jumpered, and when you unplug various sensors/engine controls it affects how the car idles... also, if you enter the service mode, it does switch from the fast flash to the slow flash like it's supposed to... but even when i unplug stuff that i know should set a DTC, it will not.the car will only flash dtc 12.

does all this mean that my ecm is smoked? if so can i just get another ecm and put my chip in it? if so is there a list somewhere of witch ecm's will work with my car? any other ideas what is going on here?