GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Brakes

Old 06-27-2012, 11:19 AM

chef is on a distinguished road
Default brake light question

I have a question about the brake warning light.

I just did a complete break job front and rear(pads calipers rotors etc.) on my 87 GN. Bled the lines and got all the air bubbles out of the accumulator ball. The only thing I didn't do is bench bleed. I have no leaks in the system from what I can tell.

The issue is that the break light comes on when I apply the breaks and then goes off again. If I press real slow it wont come on at all. I haven't taken it out on the road for fear of break failure, but testing it in the driveway it seems like it has a long stopping distance and very soft pedal.

I've bled and rebled the system and now I'm at a complete loss.....

Any advice??
Old 06-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: brake light question

The accumulator ball is a sealed system (with nitrogen under pressure), so not sure what you did there.

Sounds like it's bad now (classic signs of that are the brake light comes on when stopping quickly).
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 06-27-2012, 05:37 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Question Re: brake light question

Have to checked the fluid levels AFTER doing the brake work, and after pumping the pedal (ignition off) 10-15 times to insure the levels are as high as can be?

Do you know how old the accumulator is?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Have to checked the fluid levels AFTER doing the brake work, and after pumping the pedal (ignition off) 10-15 times to insure the levels are as high as can be?

Do you know how old the accumulator is?
The accumulator is stock im assuming. The fluid levels are fine after the pump down. The system worked before I did the break change, or seemed to.
The car was never mantained before I got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmosher View Post
The accumulator ball is a sealed system (with nitrogen under pressure), so not sure what you did there.

Sounds like it's bad now (classic signs of that are the brake light comes on when stopping quickly).
To remove the air from the ball i did a series of pumping up/down the system and allowed the air bubbles to escape untill the reservoir was clear and free of micro bubbles
Old 06-28-2012, 11:24 AM

I feared it was the accumulator ball, being that a new one runs about 180, and a new vacuum system is double that but less difficult to maintain. Now debating on replacing the system. Which blows because it means more down time. I've had the car for over 3 months and literally only drove it around the block. Seems like every time I fix one thing two more go bad!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:54 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: brake light question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
The accumulator is stock im assuming. The fluid levels are fine after the pump down. The system worked before I did the break change, or seemed to.
So, a possibly 25+ year old wear part needs replacing. Not totally unexpected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
The car was never mantained before I got it.
That could be a big part of the problem...

IMHO, I would not go vacuum if the ball was the only issue. A well maintained PowerMaster is a good system. A poorly maintained one is what everyone gets upset about. If you plan to care for it, I'd replace the ball. If you ever plan to drag race it, vacuum systems do not hold the car well at the line.