GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Driveability / Troubleshooting

Old 06-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Senior Contributor

JAMIEPACURN is on a distinguished road
Bang Head Need Help trouble shooting Buick

A few days ago my temperature got to as high as 206 degrees on the highway. On a very hot day my car has never ran over 190 so 206 seemed to high 4 me. So I replaced my thermostat with a 160 degree one. During this install I took some carb cleaner and cleaned out my throttle body inside and out. After everything put back together, I was on my way to wash my car when I lost all power with car sputtering like crazy. So after "limping" home I went and bought 6 new NGK spark plugs. (All of the old plugs were fouled) After installing the 6 new plugs, the car still is acting up. When applying the accelerator down its like it is losing power. (WTF) Scanmaster shows no malfunction codes. Any ideas what could be causing this issue????
Old 06-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Shawn N is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need Help trouble shooting Buick

Did you remove the tb or plenum? TPS and IAC plugged back in?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor

No I didn't remove the throttle body......just opened up the butterfly so I more then likely fouled the darn plugs out. As far as I know the TPS is still plugged in but will double check all the wires that run underneath the thermostat. Surely, the NGK spark plus are fairly descent plugs since this is my first time trying these plugs. Maybe I need to go back to A/c Delco or Auto lite plugs!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:52 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Need Help trouble shooting Buick

What do the MAF counts look like?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Have you got any black smoke at the tailpipes while it running?
Old 06-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Okay today I removed my 10mm Thunderbolt spark plugs and replaced them with 8mm A/C Delco brand. After they were installed I started the car. Car would run for about 15 seconds then die. Did this about 4 times in a row before finally stayed running. The idle rpms would go up then fall way down to the point it seemed like the car was going to die. When travelling down the road the car just falls on its face with no power at all. Basically, the car can go about 10mph but if trying to stomp on the gas it falls on its face while that 80 year old woman in her Hoveraround is waving at me as she passes me by.

Here is my Scan Master numbers while the car was idling. No black smoke seen at the tail pipes.

Bat 14.3
INT 128
BL 132
CLT 142 DEGREES
ATS 103
r 875
TPS 0.42
IAC 48
cc 00
MAL 00
O2 mv 375 retard 0.0
AF 04
L8 37

Any ideas as to why this car is falling flat???? I checked all my wires to make sure they are connected after changing out my Thermostat. I love it when something else breaks while fixing another issue.........lol Help me out pros please.

Jamie
Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

MAF count is pretty low (AF I assume).

Also, it'd be worth it to do a IAC reset and make sure TPS adjustment is right after the reset.

Also, cross counts at zero is pointing to either a cold or dying O2 sensor. Hard to tell without seeing the data "move" and it doesn't look like the car was up to temp yet.
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 06-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Ken, I was thinking about that oxygen sensor today as a matter of fact. I think I changed it over a year ago and should just replace it yearly since I'm not running the heated type of style. Yes, those numbers were taken at a cold start but I can let the engine warm up a bit and see if the numbers change any especially the cross count number. I appreciate you guys steering me in the right direction!

Thank you

Jamie
Old 06-06-2013, 01:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Jamie I think you MAF sensor might be to blame. When they start going bad you get horrible idle and it will stumble badly when trying to gas it. It is supposed to set off the SES if the counts are to high/low but I've seen times when it won't do so. Try cleaning it first before buying a rebuilt one since it is about $150.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Shawn for that tip. What you described sure sounds like my car. It idles terrible and no power when stepping on the gas. No wonder the 80 year old lady in her Hover round is beating me around the block. I will clean the MAF sensor and change out the oxygen sensor and see what happenes. I think the culprit has to be one of these two things or a combination of both.