GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Brakes

Old 06-16-2008, 07:57 PM

MSKBuick is on a distinguished road
Default Powermaster problem

I know it says to check the link for powermaster diagnosis, but any quick thoughts as to what would cause intermittent lose of power brakes, and now when I loose the power brakes the brake light comes on when I step on the brakes and out when letting off. I replaced the pump about two months ago. I am not sure if the accumulator is going and with the cost of it I am about ready to convert to vacuum if I can find a brake pedal from some where then buy the powerbooster and reservior from a parts store. Any thoughts or thoughts on the vacuum conversion?
Old 06-16-2008, 09:26 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Powermaster problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSKBuick
any quick thoughts as to what would cause intermittent lose of power brakes, and now when I loose the power brakes the brake light comes on when I step on the brakes and out when letting off....
There are only a few basic components of the system,and you've already replaced one. The only other big electrical one is the pressure switch. Granted, its not available from GM anymore....

You really need to go through the diagnostic tree. Even the distribution block can light the brake warning light.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Powermaster problem

Thanks for the advice, I will go through the trouble-shooting list and see if I can pin point the problem part.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:10 PM

turbojd is on a distinguished road

When I converted my power master brake system to vacuum, I re-used the power master brake pedal. After you bolt in the new vacuum booster you will see that the pivot point for the connection is in a different spot, I just took the power master pedal and lined it up to the booster, then I marked it where it had to be re-drilled, I drilled a new hole re-installed the pedal and checked it for proper fitting, it's no big deal.
87 GN PTE TA49, adj.fpr. 2 1/2" Pypes ex. 3" ATR downpipe 3" hI- flow cat, Race pro muffs. 60/65lb.mototron injectors, LT1 valve springs, heads pocket ported, 3 angle valve job, 3" LT1 maf/translator, 340 walbro/ hot wired. 93 TT chip,9"K&N.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:24 PM

I am thinking about attempting that, I was going to purchase a powerbooster with reservior from the a parts store, like NAPA, but I am not sure what vehicle; buick, chevy (camero, monte carlo) or what year to get. Also, where would I get the check valve that is mentioned in the vacuum conversion kits for turbo buicks?
Old 06-18-2008, 01:27 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Powermaster problem

Why not get one for a V8 Regal? Maybe even the inline check valve, too?
Old 06-18-2008, 06:05 AM

Does it matter what year? Also were do I get the inline check valve? Is there a certain part number.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:02 AM

When I went to the parts store I used a master cylinder from a 1987 Monte SS, you can also use that car as a donor for a brake pedal as well if you don't want to re-drill the powermaster pedal.
87 GN PTE TA49, adj.fpr. 2 1/2" Pypes ex. 3" ATR downpipe 3" hI- flow cat, Race pro muffs. 60/65lb.mototron injectors, LT1 valve springs, heads pocket ported, 3 angle valve job, 3" LT1 maf/translator, 340 walbro/ hot wired. 93 TT chip,9"K&N.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:11 AM

Use the single or dual diaphragm booster and any idea about where to get the check valve?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:56 AM

You want the dual diaphram booster.