GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Cooling Systems

Old 07-22-2008, 08:50 PM

MSKBuick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Replacement Radiator

Are you one of the sellers on those 2 radiators?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Tech Support

PaCemkr86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaCemkr86

lol no, im not..

My Turbo Buick
Old 07-22-2008, 09:51 PM

MSKBuick is on a distinguished road

Too bad, I would probably be more reluctant to buy one if you were. I am still wondering about the F-body one and a separate oil cooler. Its the plastic tank vs all aluminum, 1 vs 3 core, and price that keep me thinking about what direction to go, but the advice helps.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Tech Support

PaCemkr86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaCemkr86

the f-body, stock, or alumn radiator will work fine, it really just comes down to price and preference..

My 10 sec Ttype has a F-body rad
The daily driver GN runs low 11's has a stock replacement unit in it..

My Turbo Buick
Old 03-15-2009, 09:48 AM

Alumitech is on a distinguished road

heres something to look at .
better then what was on g/body parts .
can be found on e/bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AQ:MOTORS:1123
Old 03-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

ed39 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ed39

just go with the f body, if somthing goes wrong down the road like your rad starts leaking, way easier to replace and get your hands on with less down time, it also saves weight off the front nose, and was real easy to do, i also like the seprate coolers. my car on a 90+ degree day with dual fans is around 165-175
blue top injectors, lt1 maf, translator, ATR single shot exhaust, 3inch dp, gnx wheels, turbo tweak chip , atr rear sway bar, super servo, shift kit, stock converter, 210/205 cam at .50 100lb springs, pt 51 turbo street tune for now
Old 03-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

87geeinn is on a distinguished road

I was the one who actually wrote the F-Body article. I can tell you from experience that going from an almost 20yr old stock radiator, chock full of deposits, to a brand new $100 radiator from Autozone was an awesome mod. After some research and a change of heart, I decided to simply do away with the stock oil cooler setup and now I have just a seperate transmission cooler running straight from the transmission lines to the external cooler.

It cools great. I went from temps ~175* in stop and go traffic in 95* Florida heat to ~167 in the same conditions with no other changes. When winter rolled around, I actually had to send my chip back to get the closed loop temperature setting lowered because the car kept going in and out of closed loop on the highway in freezing weather.

It's a great mod. If I have a problem, just pull both hoses off and drop a new one in. Several years now and no problems though. As Phil stated, it just comes down to preference and how much $ you wanna spend.
87 GN, stroker, Champion irons and intake, 218/212 cam, TE60, 70mm TB, Precision plenum, FMIC, Alky, Innovate WB, TurboTweak, Powerlogger, 9" real Art Carr non-lock, Brian Hofer 200r4, TA stainless headers, 3" DP, 60lb injectors, MT ET Streets.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:33 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Replacement Radiator

Why are you arguing with the party selling these aluminum radiators? You're not going to sway their opinion.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:14 PM

Coelacanth is on a distinguished road

Looks like I'll be replacing my '86 GN's rad soon, and I happened upon this topic in my Googling. I keep seeing recommendations to get the F-body rad. That rad has tranny cooler holes, though the lower one is located below the lower rad hose instead of above it. Are GN owners using the F-body rad's tranny cooler, and if yes, what's needed to make it fit?

Secondly, are people adding an external oil cooler, as the F-body rad doesn't include inlets for the stock GN one? I've also read conflicting debates on whether or not the oil cooler is even necessary...some don't even use it at all. Sorry for all the questions and rehashing this topic, but I want to have all the info at hand before I spend money on a rad. Thanks!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:07 PM
Senior Contributor

pajeff87 is on a distinguished road

I replaced the radiator in our car with one from Kirban's. It is an all aluminum USA made radiator that includes the factory oil cooler provisions. In all honesty, it is a nicer piece than the Be Cool radiator I installed in our Cutlass. I highly recommend this as a direct fit replacement.