GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Electrical/Ignition

Old 09-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Senior Contributor

IL KIM is on a distinguished road
Default MSD31869 Ignition Wires @ Murrays!

Broke one of my Accel 8.8 wires when I was replacing my spark plugs (with Splitfires) - the steel part stayed on the plug while the boot & wire came off! Anyway, looks like a lot of people using the MSD Super Conductors. Found then on-line cheapest at Murray's Auto $63.39 when you include shipping costs from elsewhere.

Went there tonight and they tell me it's $90 and I need to print out the Murray's info and bring it in. Oh well, looks like I need to head back there now, but thought people would like to know Murray's can order these.

IL KIM 85 GN w/86 motor, TRW pistons, Weber 206 billet roller cam, EGR welded, o/sized valves, 130psi springs, roller rockers, 3000 conv, adj w/gate, FPR, custom rad, KB ram air, ported, KB headers, Walbro 340M/hotwire, 60lb Hi Z, CPT66bb
Old 09-09-2006, 02:02 AM
Tech Support

PaCemkr86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaCemkr86
Default Re: MSD31869 Ignition Wires @ Murrays!

i ended up just ordering a set of Taylors from summit

My Turbo Buick
Old 09-09-2006, 06:07 AM

turbojd is on a distinguished road

Those splitfire spark plugs are horrible in a GN by the way. I ran those years back and the car ran like ----.Just my .02 cents
87 GN PTE TA49, adj.fpr. 2 1/2" Pypes ex. 3" ATR downpipe 3" hI- flow cat, Race pro muffs. 60/65lb.mototron injectors, LT1 valve springs, heads pocket ported, 3 angle valve job, 3" LT1 maf/translator, 340 walbro/ hot wired. 93 TT chip,9"K&N.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Senior Contributor

I took another look at the on-line add I printed out and it turns out it is Murraysauto.com - some company in Florida and not Murrrays Discount Auto chain. So I ordered thru Summit Racing at ~$70 w/shipping. At least didn't waste a trip to Murrays. Sorry for the confusion.

I was wondering if anyone would comment on the Splitfires . I've tried different plugs and found platinum tip to be junk (as other website members) and ending up w Spitfires. Any additional comments from past or present Splitfire users?
IL KIM 85 GN w/86 motor, TRW pistons, Weber 206 billet roller cam, EGR welded, o/sized valves, 130psi springs, roller rockers, 3000 conv, adj w/gate, FPR, custom rad, KB ram air, ported, KB headers, Walbro 340M/hotwire, 60lb Hi Z, CPT66bb
Old 09-10-2006, 12:45 PM

turbojd is on a distinguished road

Don't waste your money on them splitfires, run either AC Delco or Autolite spark plugs. Those splitfire sparkplugs would always miss under boost and foul in my GN. Their heat ranges aren't close enough, they wiuld run excellent in my dads 460 lincoln engine and yet when I ordered a set of splifires when they arrived they were the same numbers on the plug as my dads 460 engine application?? go figure?? I think the number on the splitfire sparkplugs was something like SF2E if I remember correctly.
87 GN PTE TA49, adj.fpr. 2 1/2" Pypes ex. 3" ATR downpipe 3" hI- flow cat, Race pro muffs. 60/65lb.mototron injectors, LT1 valve springs, heads pocket ported, 3 angle valve job, 3" LT1 maf/translator, 340 walbro/ hot wired. 93 TT chip,9"K&N.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Wink Re: MSD31869 Ignition Wires @ Murrays!

Ugh. Thanks. They are still SF2E like they were 16 years ago. One of my problems is missing under boost - last week I reduced the boost from 19.5 to back to 17psi and changed the plugs; no more missing, but less boost. I think I will enjoy driving without missing for a while and then change out the plugs. Thanks for the advise.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:17 PM

turboadict is on a distinguished road

Just as a side note here, I picked up a set of Halo plugs cheap a whiles back. Had them for ages and decided to give them a whirl one day. Car ran 23- 24# boost with alky and ran well. Ran a personal best at the track. Sort of surprised me actually.

Anyone else got an opinion with these?

Might leave them in for a bit, see how they last.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:04 PM

rmoulderoh is on a distinguished road

I've never had any luck with AC Delco plugs in my GN. I can change them, run WOT a few times and they start missing and spittin'. I finally tried Bosch platinums and they never miss!
Old 09-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Interesting; the Bosch Platinums never worked for me. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:24 PM

rmoulderoh is on a distinguished road

I'm beginning to believe that each of these beasts has their own little quirks. I bought my GN new in 1987 and it has always: idled rough on start up, leaked at the rear main seal, leaked at oil filter/cooler, and fouled out AC Delco plugs! I've had it to the best GM mechanics in this area and none can figure out how to fix any of these things--except I finally found that it won't foul out Bosch Platinum plugs. Anyway, I guess it makes each one special!!