GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Mechanical

Old 12-02-2012, 06:39 PM

21dusty is on a distinguished road
Default Different ESC and Coils Pack, Etc.

Hello All

I have aquired a complete 87 engine, but it does NOT have any of the Computer system Wiring Harness's, sensors or the computer.

I plan on putting the engine into a bare bones 1966 Pontiac Tempest Post Car.

I have Access to an ESC and Coils of a 95 Buick Riveira SC engine. Its said that other units can be used with the Stock Computer System.

I also have access to the SC OBD I Computer and Wiring for the same car, would it be advisable , or worth it to Retro Fit it onto the 87 engine with all its sensors??

Can it be tuned easily or are there allot of problems using the newer OBD I System and its components?

I am a newbi at, and into the Tuning World, but do have experiance working with the various computer systems. I have a Snap On Scanner to help too.

I am a Retired Professional Mechanic and do have good knowledge on many assorted types of vehicles.

Thanks in Advance for any of you Experts assistance.

Dusty

Last edited by 21dusty; 12-02-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Diffent ESC and Coils Pack, Etc.

Some one with experience and enough equipment can make that all work but it not trivial since the later 3800s went to higher resolution crank triggers and internal cam sensors.

Since you're not familiar with the systems involved it would be an expensive and frustrating project. Not a lot interchanges with the turbo system so best thing is to get reman units and/or replacement parts. The ECM is common and the las t reman I bought was about $75. Rock auto still carries a lot of stuff like cranks sensors and such. Cam sensors are pretty dear any more.
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 12-02-2012, 11:57 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Diffent ESC and Coils Pack, Etc.

Like Ken said: stick with the old gear. The newer stuff will require a lot of changes that are not trivial to make. You can even go to an aftermarket ECU to get it going with the stock sensors. However, cars are going in the 9s with the stock ECM and sensors. Why mess with it?