GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Cooling Systems

Old 05-29-2008, 09:12 PM

susan2265 is on a distinguished road
Bang Head Relay Fan

I Have a 86 buick GN. In august 07 I changed all 3 relays on the left fender wall. The relay fan has worked fine until about a month ago it is now running for 30mins to 2 hours after the car is shut off. even if the car has not been running and you just turn the switch on to roll the windows up or something. a week ago I left the house made about 5 stops(where the car was shut off) in a 3 hour time frame. when I went to start the car after the last stop(about 30 mins shut off) it would not start. I received a jump start and it ran for 3 days. with the fan still running like above. we switched the relays around ,pulled all the fuses out and re pushed them in and the car started. I ordered a new relay to replace the one that seemed to shut the fan down after the car is turned off. replaced it with the new one today, car started fine, drove about 3 miles to the gas station, shut car off& got gas, pulled away from the gas pump to the store shut the car off (50 feet). went in store can out car would not start but fan still running. got car towed home. turned key started right up. the wireing plug in for the fan is getting hot to the touch. any ideas, would be greatly appreciated.... fan runs when car won't start.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Tech Support

PaCemkr86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaCemkr86
Default Re: Reay Fan

just unplug the fan delay relay, when you say it wont start.. do you mean it cranks and wont start.. or wont even crank?

My Turbo Buick
Old 05-30-2008, 12:02 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Relay Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan2265
fan runs when car won't start.
I'm a little confused...let's confirm a few things:

- Did you have the problems before you started changing the relays?
- Are the relays the ones on the DRIVER'S side?
- Is the largest/longest relay the one that seems to be causing the problem and/or getting hot?
- Have you been using the A/C during these problems? If so, was it set on MAX?
- Do you have a volt/ohm meter you can use for diagnosis?

The fan can come on with the A/C, especially when set to MAX.

A shorted wire might force it on. There is a green wire with yellow stripe going to one of the relays that can be shorted to ground that will force the fan on. If this is incorrectly shorted/pierced, it may caused this problem.

A bad delay relay (the large one) can cause it as well, of course.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:36 AM

Default Re: Relay Fan

to clarify yes the fan had been running correctly staying on a few minutes after the car was turned off. within the last month it had started stay on longer and longer. yes the relay on the drivers side their are 2 smaller ones and a larger one. changed the smaller ones. NO have not been using A/C have been using heat early in the am. Yes I think he has a volt meter. the connector that is down close to the fan it is like a two piece wire plug in is getting hot. the relays/delays aren't getting hot to the touch.
when I say it won't start I mean when you turn the key you can hear the noise that the fuel injection makes and the fan comes on nothing else. will not turn over. I do have lights, door and key buzzers,radio. when you turn the key to off the fan still is running for 15-20 mins. will not start if you try to jump it. Brand new battery bought tuesday.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:37 AM

also was told there is a place on here that shows what each relay is and where it is, can you direct me there?
Old 05-30-2008, 04:40 AM

bmackinnon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCemkr86
just unplug the fan delay relay, when you say it wont start.. do you mean it cranks and wont start.. or wont even crank?
Agree with Phil. Problems with the delay relay are very common and well known. Yours is exhibiting the classic symptoms. Just unplug/remove it (the bigger one of the 3 relays on the ds fenderwell). It's not needed, and will cause no ill effects by not being there. Read here for further info: (courtesy of Casper's Electronics) http://www.installationinstructions....elay-relay.pdf
Old 05-30-2008, 04:43 AM

Default Delay Relay

Sensor location chart here:
http://www.gnttype.org/maint/sensors.html

Hope that helps! :-)
Old 05-30-2008, 04:54 AM

Quote:
the connector that is down close to the fan it is like a two piece wire plug in is getting hot.
That is the fan resistor. The fan has 2 speeds. When the fan runs in low speed (which it normally does), the power goes thru the resistor, where the voltage drops, which makes the fan run in slow (lo) speed. The voltage going thru the resistor causes it to get hot. That is normal.

In high speed (car very hot, or A/C on), the voltage bypasses the resistor, so the fan gets full voltage, causing it to run fast (hi-speed). Some people just bypass (short/jumper) the resistor with a heavy gage wire, so that whenever the fan runs, it runs on hi-speed. I haven't found the need to do that(yet), but when my resistor finally burns out (which it eventually will), that's the fix...
Old 05-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Support

PaCemkr86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaCemkr86

it really sounds like your starter isnt wanting to crank when its hot.. But it cranks right up when its cold??

Like mentioned above, just unplug the bigger of the 3 relays and your battery drain from the fan staying on when the key is turned off will be gone

My Turbo Buick
Old 05-30-2008, 10:43 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Relay Fan

Quote:
yes the relay on the drivers side their are 2 smaller ones and a larger one. changed the smaller ones.
Have you changed the larger one? If not, that is usually the culprit of fan misbehavior.

Also, if the large white thing down by the fan gets warm/hot, that is not unusual while the fan is running or has just run at high speed. When power goes through a resistor, it will get warm.

The issue actually may be the starter, as Phis said. Sounds like its solenoid, which is mounted upon it, is getting heat sensitive. Would not be a totally uncommon failure, and especially not if it is the original 20+ year old starter.