GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Driveability / Troubleshooting

Old 03-27-2010, 03:12 PM

1SLOV6 is on a distinguished road
Default Losing power at WOT

I lost power both times I went to WOT last weekend. As soon as I got off the throttle, the engine was fine. Only happened at WOT. 1/2 throttle was OK. Kinda strange to me. My knock sensor didn't go off. Here's my combo. Upgraded to new parts last year... 60 lb. injectors and a matched 93 octane Turbo Tweak chip, 6152 turbo from Full Throttle, and a few odds and ends I needed for the upgrade, O2 sensor, plugs, etc. ATR Downpipe w/internal wastegate. Adjustable fuel regulator. I'm running 100 octane currently. I cleaned the air filter today, but haven't driven it since cleaning.

Here's my Scanmaster readings from today at idle:
02 Milivolts 390-386-382
AF 07-06
L8 39-38-37-42
BAT 12.6-13.1
INT 128
BL 128
CLT 101-103
ATS 57
R 875-900
TPS .48
IAC 24-19-18-17-27
CC 170-182-194-222
MAL 23 Not sure what's going on here. Everything is plugged in correctly

Thanks, in advance!
Old 03-27-2010, 04:42 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Losing power at WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SLOV6 View Post
I lost power both times I went to WOT last weekend.
Did the engine quit at WOT or just not pull 100% at WOT? It would make a big difference in the diagnosis.

As far as your code 23: http://www.gnttype.org/maint/malf.html#23 Make sure everything is OK.

Your idle readings aren't going to help much here. Need some WOT numbers. However, if the car is dying at WOT, there are other issues.

If it is running, but choking, I'd look at wiring issues, weak fuel pump, ignition issues, detonation, etc.

If the car shuts off cold at WOT, the issues might be the same. However, I'd bet money there was a wiring issue somewhere. Either a loose power wire, or a ground not secured.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Losing power at WOT

The engine didn't quit. Just seemed like it wasn't getting enough fuel spark, or air. I could have probably gone 3/4 throttle with no issues. Just happened when I held the petal to the floor. BTW, this was the first time I took it out after storage this year. Don't know if means anything or not. I think I'll put some fresh fuel in and with the clean air filter, I'll see if it happens again. I'll keep you posted. Thanks, for your response.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:00 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Lightbulb Re: Losing power at WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SLOV6 View Post
BTW, this was the first time I took it out after storage this year. Don't know if means anything or not. I think I'll put some fresh fuel in and with the clean air filter, I'll see if it happens again.
- Had you put StaBil in the fuel over the winter?
- Did you hear or see knock on the Scanmaster during the run?

Not sure if new gas will solve much, unless it is really stale. This may require you to check for an actual problem.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:24 PM

No StaBil ever used. Should I? I heard it was bad...bad...bad...It didn't knock at all. I'm pretty happy with my set up. I was able to increase to 20lbs. with my new combo last year. Probably could go more, but I'm satisfied with performance (for now). I'll try to re-create the issue as soon as this crappy Ohio weather breaks again.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:52 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Question Re: Losing power at WOT

Never know StaBil to cause issues.

I hope you have alcohol injection or race fuel to get to 20 PSI. Otherwise, you will hurt something trying to go to that high. Likely can't get 15 PSI on the fuel formations used today.

Can you post your combo, including your chip?

Also concerned if your TPS is properly adjusted...
Old 04-07-2010, 06:38 PM

I mixed up 12 gallons of 100 octane and the tank took it all. Apparently my sending unit is bad. The guage was reading 3/4 tank. The good news is that she's running like a champ again. Anyone know where I can find a new sending unit?
Old 04-07-2010, 11:25 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Lightbulb Re: Losing power at WOT

http://nos4gn.com has new GM spec pump hangers that are being made. Keep in mind that you sometimes can remove and fix an existing sending unit.