GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Add-on Electronics and Electrical > Computer Chips/Stock ECMs

Old 07-07-2016, 08:05 AM
Senior Contributor

JAMIEPACURN is on a distinguished road
Default Chip Selection

Currently having my motor being rebuilt by Mike from FullThrottle Speed. The engine is now a stroker motor with steel crank, billet pistons, roller cam, (214/214) and billet rods. Now I need a new chip and not sure as to go with a "street" chip or the "alky chip". Currently, I don't have Razors alky setup kit but maybe that is the way to go. Any suggestions????

Jamie C.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:05 PM

gusszgs is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chip Selection

JMO, but I've been running Razors kit for about 8 yrs now and it's been one of, if not the best mod I've done. Sure beats buying race fuel
Old 07-10-2016, 01:48 AM
Senior Contributor

What kind of chip are you using with your razor setup???? Is it a street chip where you can run 93 octane gas + alcohol from the reservoir to be able to turn up the boost, or are you running alcohol 100% of the time with the alky chip????? Perhaps the street chip is the way to go along with the razor set up. I just don't want to do something to screw up the motor.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:08 PM

It's a TurboTweak "alky" chip from Eric Marshall
I've run up to 26 psi on a TE60. I've never run anything but but straight Methyl hydrate. Was at the track this past weekend made 4 passes and used about 10% of the tank. Always 94 octane in the tank
Old 07-12-2016, 07:59 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm assuming your car is setup as a daily driver on the street as well as race setup. So with the alky chip, you have to have your tank filled at all times with alcohol and the timing is advanced compared to a "street chip" from Turbo Tweak. Perhaps the alky chip is what I might go for then along with the razor alky system I have to purchase.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:11 PM

No, the alky chip just has more timing in it in default (usually 23/21). You can pull or add timing via the scanmaster if you like. I do believe the fueling tables are programmed differently.
You can run the street chip with the alky.......actually I did this for a bit before buying the new alky chip.
It's been a great system and can't imagine not having alky now. Keep in mind your only using alky (meth) when your into a set "turn on" point of boost. Mine starts to kick in around 5psi (this is adjustable through the controller) and becomes progressive from there.
So if your just cruising and only get into it once in awhile you'll use very little meth.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:04 AM
Senior Contributor

So I take it you like the alky chip a lot better then when you were just using the street chip. Do you use straight alcohol or do you mix yours with 50/50 with water????? Sounds like the car is more enjoyable with the alky chip since it allows you to run more boost, and who doesn't like to get up and go fast! Thank you very much for the information you provided about the alky system and chips.

Jamie C.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIEPACURN View Post
So I take it you like the alky chip a lot better then when you were just using the street chip. Do you use straight alcohol or do you mix yours with 50/50 with water????? Sounds like the car is more enjoyable with the alky chip since it allows you to run more boost, and who doesn't like to get up and go fast! Thank you very much for the information you provided about the alky system and chips.

Jamie C.
I like the combination of the Razor's kit and TT "alky" chip, they go hand in hand. Chip is burned for 60lb injectors.
Like I said in my 2nd post, I've NEVER run anything but straight Methyl hydrate in Razor's kit.
It's not so much the chip that allows you to crank up the boost, but the alky injection.
I just came back from a street blast and ran 26 psi ZERO KR!
Your welcome for the info.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I want to make sure I have this correct before I purchase this razor kit. It sounds like your Buick is using regular 93 to 94 octane pump gas in the gas tank while having a reservoir under the hood that holds the special alcohol you use. Then your "alky" chip has your timing already adjusted in the programmed settings therefore allowing you to run 26lbs of boost. I guess I would just be afraid I would run out of alcohol which would not be a good thing unless you could swap out the alky chip for a street chip if ever became an issue. Have you ever had any issues with your razor set up????

Jamie C.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:33 PM

I've had the alky kit for 8 yrs and replaced the pump once (started to leak). Other than that it's been flawless.

Yes 94 octane pump gas in tank. Alky/Meth goes in the original coolant reservoir. The "alky" chip is burned by Eric @ TT with more timing in the default. A typical alky chip will have 23/21*in default. A street chip will be something like 18/17*I believe.

When you order the chip you tell Eric how much boost you plan to run.

And I have NEVER ran out of alky/meth cause I open my hood every time I go out and look at the tank. If it's down say 1/2 way, I just top it up. Plus Razor's kit has a low level light that warns you.

I live in Canada and we can buy straight Meth at the local hardware store so it's always available.