GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Add-on Electronics and Electrical > Scan Tools

Old 06-12-2007, 08:36 AM

buds87gn is on a distinguished road
Default Scanmaster hook up

I got a scanmaster for my '87 but no instructions. Can anyone help?
Old 06-12-2007, 08:42 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Scanmaster hook up

http://www.fullthrottletech.com/showthread.php?t=1488
Old 08-01-2011, 01:00 PM

jlat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scanmaster hook up

hello; On the hook up I know the scanmaster has been out for a while but where is your favorite wire connection locations?
IBBY
Old 08-01-2011, 05:52 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Scanmaster hook up

Data pretty much has to come from the ALDL port or its wires. Power can be any ignition switched source, such as those in the fuse box. If you don't already have a fuse in line, you can add a small one with a connector from Radio Shack or somewhere similar.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Senior Contributor

pajeff87 is on a distinguished road

How about mounting options for the Scan Master? I have it on the bottom right side of the IP cluster surround right now, but the sight line isn't that great. Other options?
Old 03-30-2014, 05:03 AM
Senior Contributor

JAMIEPACURN is on a distinguished road

If I remember correctly I think there was three wires to the Scan Master. One wire goes to ground, one wire goes to a power source or ignition source, and the other wire goes to the orange wire (ECM wire) Its been awhile but wasn't to bad to install. Just make sure you use a good ground source!!!!

Click on my screen name "JAMIEPACURN" and there are pictures of my 1987 T-Type so that you can see 1 option where to mount the scan master. I tried to upload a single picture on here but this site wouldn't allow me to re-post the same picture. Hope this helps you out but you can use your imagination and put it where it best suits your taste.

Jamie C.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor

pajeff87 is on a distinguished road

I positioned it where you have yours, but wasn't sure if I would like it there. How is it mounted - double sided tape?
Old 03-30-2014, 11:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Mine is mounted with double sided velcro that I got from Lowes. One part of the velcro was applied to the flat portion of the "ledge" above the heater controls and the other part of the velcro was peeled and stuck the underside of the Scan master. The velcro is very strong and holds up very well. I chose this location because I wanted my ScanMaster gray wire to be hidden for a clean look. You can mount it above the odometer, but think it would be hard to conseal the wiring. So basically all my gauge wires and scan master wire is neatly zipped tied and consealed under the dash. Some people like the "birds nest" type of wiring under the dash where it looks very messy but I like to know where all my wires are going.......neat and organized. However, this is your Buick and you can virtually mount it anywhere.

Jamie C.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:28 PM

Frederickdav is on a distinguished road

I finally did it!!! I think. My Scanmaster is wired and sending all kinds of "stuff". I sure wish I would have gotten into this hobby years ago. Back when I didn't wear bi-focals would have been nice. Back when my neck and back weren't totalled would have been nice too. If anybody else on here wears bi-focals, how do you see what you're doing?
Now I have to play with it and see what kind of numbers it's reading and what they mean.
Thanks to this forum for all the information I've been gleaning all winter.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Great to hear. Now you will have a wealth of information and how to troubleshoot your motor if the scan master throws you a trouble shoot code. They can significantly help point you in the right direction plus there are a lot of people on here who are willing to help.