GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Mechanical

Old 10-02-2012, 06:16 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Question Balance

I have a motor with a steel crank that was rebalanced neutral.

My understanding is that the stock balancer and flexplate could be used. However, I want SFI pieces on it.

I suppose I should use an external balancer and flexplate, correct?

Am I totally whacked out on my thinking? I see that Weber sells an internal/neutral flexplate, which doesn't jive with my understanding.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:27 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Bang Head Re: Balance

From the original owner:

Motor balanced @ 50%. Stock is 33%. Uses Stock Type external balance flywheel & Stock front harmonic balancer.

Sooo...called the engine builder. He said stock (external) balancer, internal/neutral flexplate.

I called TA since I was already ordering a few items and had them set up to ship me an external flexplate. Had that changed to an internal. Happened to get Mike (I am guessing it was that Mike) who suggested getting the crank rebalanced to 36.6% (the REAL stock number) will save a lot of bearing wear. He noted that Duttweiler often goes 40-44% (vs. 50% or 36.6%) to get the vertical shake out of the motors. But TA has gone 36.6% for a long time with no call-backs since changing from 50% to 36.6%.

Long and short of it, I may pull the crank and get it rebalanced. I have no fixed date to shoot for, so I am OK with it taking a little longer. Just had hoped not to take apart the short block I have. If it cures a potential ill, that's fine.

I better get a new (good!) torque wrench...